Bikes & Hikes LA

Bikes & Hikes LA - Catching the last of the sunset at Griffith Observatory

Bikes & Hikes LA West Hollywood Reviews

jenniescharm jenniesc…
Hiking the Hollywood Hills Feb 25, 2015
While researching things to do in LA, I found several mentions of how great LA was for hiking. As I enjoy being outdoors and would be in need of some time outside after spending a few days inside at a work conference, I decided to stretch my legs with Bikes and Hikes LA.

A small local company, Bikes and Hikes offers a variety of guided options around LA, Hollywood and the Hollywood Hills. (They also offer bike rentals and private group tours.) I opted for the Sunset Tour of the Hollywood Hills ($52).

The tour started in Griffith Park. (Specifically the Greek Theater - 2700 N Vermont Ave. Plenty of free parking available for those with cars. For those without, the company website indicates that it is possible to get there using public transportation.) From there, we headed into the hills, stopping at the Griffith Observatory at sunset. The guide, Erick, was great. He shared with us the history of the park and of the famous Hollywood sign along with highlights from movies that were filmed in the area. We even got to see photos and watch video clips as we went. The views from the trail were amazing – downtown LA, Forest Lawn Cemetery, the Hollywood sign…you could see it all from up here.

The site says the tour is easy to moderate and that’s probably true overall. However, the initial climb did get my heart rate up and I exercise several times a week! Once on top of the hill, the pace was easy. The tour lasted 2.5-3 hours and was definitely worth the effort. Griffith Park is quite the oasis in the middle of the bustling city – we saw a rabbit and coyotes on the walk down - and Bikes and Hikes LA is a great way to enjoy it.
Catching the last of the sunset at…
Griffith Observatory