Big Sky Brewery

Big Sky Brewery - has a very friendly atmosphere

Big Sky Brewery Missoula Reviews

surfingcowboy surfingc…
Big Sky Brewery, Missoula, MT Apr 16, 2008
When you first walk into the Big Sky the first thing you think is “man this place stinks!!!” I’ve been in a brewery or two and none have smelled this bad. The good part is that it’s a type of smell that you get used to and don’t even notice after a minute or two.

The front of the brewery, like most, is a gift shop with a bar in it. The gifts are of good quality (you’ll see brand names like Mountain Hardware) and the price reflects it with t-shirts starting at $18, but you can skimp and get a bottle opener for $3.

If you’re lucky you’ll visit when Alex is working (see pic) she’ll be more than happy to sling a few free beer tastes your way. The brewery has, to name a few; Moose Drool, a brown that easily rivals and arguably overcomes Newcastle, Trout Slayer, an ale that is great from aroma to aftertaste, and Big Sky IPA, a more than OK taste with an IPA sized alc content, and Soul Porter, a great dark with a strong nutty flavor. The beers you get are not much more than a shot and you’ll only get 4 per person, but they have them listed with the alc. content so choose wisely. If you decide on a beer you can buy jug for $5 (and up to $35 for a fancy shmancy one) and fill it for $5 more, unless it is the special for the month, this will cost you $10 to fill it with proceeds going to a local charity. I didn’t hear any word about a tour, probably wouldn’t have taken one if they do give one.

If you are a true beer connoisseur or just in the need for souvenirs it might be worth going, it is right down the street from the airport, however I couldn’t see going out of my way and expecting an experience worth waiting for. I’ll give it 3 stars for presentation (mostly for the high quality of clothing) and a 5 for the beer (delish).
The view from the front
has a very friendly atmosphere
crowded, free beer bars usually are
poorogies says:
Okay, I tried to find it at the GABF, but I couldn't. I want to say MD is a little more hoppy in the end, but again it was a while ago that I had it. I'll get back to you. Right now I would compare it to another Am. nut brown since the brits seem to have a cleaner finish.
Posted on: Oct 12, 2008
surfingcowboy says:
Yeah, it was the closest I could come to. Have any suggestions, a more similar beer?
Posted on: Sep 24, 2008
poorogies says:
Moose Drool is pretty tasty, but I don't know if I would compare it to Newcastle. I think the flavor is a bit more hoppy and sticks a little longer.
Posted on: Sep 23, 2008