Big John's Beach On The Hill BBQ & Chil-axn

Check Sihanoukville Hotel Deals

Big John's Beach On The Hill BBQ & Chil-axn Sihanoukville Reviews

yoanna87 yoanna87
poor service! Apr 20, 2012
The hostel is located in a quiet part of Sihanoukville which is both good and bad. Bad because you'll have to spend money on tuk-tuks and good because there is a small quiet beach nearby and some great local restaurants with delicious food and very very cheap!

We were 4 people travelling and we booked 3 rooms. However, there was some confusion with the booking but after some explaining we got 3 rooms as they weren't fully booked anyway. But as we later realised we were charged more than we should have been. Definitely not nice.

It turned out that we didn't get rooms we wanted (single/double) but all the rooms were hostel-style with bunk beds! So if we wanted to we could have stayed in one room (well, we didn't want to anyway, but I don't really need that many beds in my room!). The room looked ok, but the main light was not working at all. Also had problems with TV so I gave up. Thankfully wi-fi was working.

The bathroom was smelly when I checked-in and not clean. There was even a used soap and its packaging on the sink.. That says a lot. A toilet in my friends' room didn't flush..

What is more, one day when I came back to my room the TV was on - and I was sure I didn't leave it on as I wasn't using a TV. So I assume it was a cleaning staff..

There's a rooftop bar and restaurant but well, don't bother. The staff don't speak much English so it's a struggle to order.

We were disappointed with our stay, we definitely expected more from this place. Not recommended.
bigjohnbkk says:
I agree the staff need to improve their English and I'm trying to help them do that. I agree the staff need to learn what's on the menu and it takes time. as for fobbing the restaurant off because the staff have limited English capabilities, the menu's are in both English and Khmer, with numbers, so unless you're trying to order something off the menu, there shouldn't be to much of a communication problem. At least I'm trying to do something constructive in this country, not just complaining about used soap. Hell the rooms were only opened in mid December and the restaurant a month after. All the rooms are not dorms, there are two dedicated 6 bed dorms, where you may share with people you may not know. I'm sorry your mind doesn't reach to the practicality of the room/bed configuration, meaning they can be used as single, double, twin, triple, quadruple and even five person group or family rooms, without moving beds around. In these rooms you don't/won't have to share with anyone, if you have booked it for private use. I'm sorry that having an empty bed in the room disturbs you so much. Many people find the extra beds as being useful storage space. All the rooms have ocean views/glimpses, some better than others, with a full ocean view and let's no forget the awesome view from the rooftop/terrace restaurant, that is available to everyone. I am also aware that many people aren't very careful when they make there bookings, they click for one thing, which is no longer available, don't check and end up booking something else. Not that I can do anything about it, as that's the way the booking engines work. You have the right to say what you want, as do I.
Posted on: May 30, 2012
yoanna87 says:
or maybe you should make it clear when booking that all the rooms are dorms and not single/doubles. just like all the other places do. when i book a double room i want to have a double room. plus we didn't get the rooms we booked! no ocean view for anybody. and it was paid for.
and you know the problems with your staff as we heard you telling them off for taking orders and not specifying what flavour of the shake a customer wanted. i don't expect them to speak fluent english but they should at least be able to understand the menu. and be quicker.
and if you read more carefully you'd notice that i'm not complaining about it being far from the centre but informing others about the location and its pros and cons. just like we all do here on TB. you might not like it as an owner but it doesn't matter as this is my review and i wrote about my experiences. and if the staff misses things like used soap and its packaging then how the bathroom was cleaned? it wasn't..
Posted on: May 24, 2012
bigjohnbkk says:
Some of the staff don't speak English well, damn who'd have thought that in Cambodia? If sleeping in a room, in a hostel, with extra beds, but not people in a room confuses you, then maybe you should look for a hotel? If a $3 tuk tuk or $1 motorbike ride to get to the tourist trap end of town is a concern, then maybe that's where you should have stayed? The power goes of frequently in Sihanoukvile, the generator is started manually and the flat screen TV's turn on automatically when the power is restarted. The fluctuating power reduces the life of electric devises, like energy saving bulbs and flurecent starters, all a person has to do is ask and repairs will be made quickly, that goes for plumbing problems as well. If the staff missed a packet of soap in a bathroom, then the world will end. This is the tropics and the water can evaporate from small s bends, but all it takes is running a little water to make less than desirable odors disappear. If you were expecting more in rooms that are between $7 & $15 per night, a reality check might be in order.
Posted on: May 24, 2012