Big Frog Expeditions

Check Benton Hotel Deals

Big Frog Expeditions Benton Reviews

salt_life salt_life
So Bomb. Jan 19, 2014
Brace yourself for a somewhat lengthy review!

This trip was full of firsts! With that said, it was sort of difficult to gage my ratings given my general lack of experience. But, I will do my best to cover everything..

If you are looking to channel your inner Bear Grylls, you may be disappointed. But, for all those newbies (and, glampers)- this is just the place for you!

So, in terms of camp sites! Each tent sits on a covered platform. I didn't know what to think of this at first, but I was grateful for it come our second night. We managed to stay very dry. And, we didn't float away. Woo!

Each camp site has their own fire pit. We also happened to be very close to a large covered picnic area in addition to a brick pizza oven. We did not take advantage of the oven, but we did cook over the fire the first night. And, under the gazebo area the second.

The bathrooms are a short walk away. They are well stocked and very clean. The only thing I would suggest is that you wear some sort of shower shoe because of the grating directly underneath the shower head. Don't be alarmed if a daddy long legs tries to join you. They are everywhere!

The camp store had some pretty basic stuff- coffee, hot chocolate, Mrs. Fields cookies, and all the memorabilia you would need from pictures to auto decals to stickers. They also have a ton of seating on the upper level to include rocking chairs- very relaxing after a long day on the river.

If you have run out of things to burn or eat (or, both), check out the nature trails! If your lucky, you will find yourself at top a ridiculous hill. Not only is it a perfect view of the mountains, sunset, and sunrise.. it is a great photo op!

For those of you that choose to go whitewater rafting with big frog- Most of the guys are pretty grizzly looking. But, they are down right hilarious and they know what they are doing. Just imagine.. Ron Swanson taking you out on the river. Now, multiply that by ten. For those of you that don't know who Ron Swanson is, I am sorry.

Anyways. They are very thorough in terms of safety and instruction. When you arrive, you will be giving a run down of what to expect, what to do, and what not to do. They will also run you through a series of drills, buddy checks, and equipment checks (paddle, life jacket, helmet, etc.) prior to getting on the water. As you can see, I only gave them three stars for safety. And, I do this because you are responsible for yourself. They will do everything they can to educate you and to protect you. But, you need to pay attention. And, you need to cooperate. If you fall out and they tell you to swim left, swim left. If they say paddle hard, paddle hard. If they say tuck your knees, tuck your knees. Pretty simple stuff.

You may bring things along with you such as cameras and beverages, but I highly suggest you stow it in a bag with a clip on it. You may attach this clip to the site of the boat.

The river itself is amazing! It is wide, fast, and surrounded by mountain. You will have plenty of breaks in between the rapids to catch your breath, adjust your self, or even float down the river for a bit. Just remember to tuck your knees in. Its probably.. waist deep? But, it is nearly impossible to stand up due to the sheer force.

And, if you decide to have lunch on the river.. try the potato salad. Its phenomenal.

I hope you found this review to be helpful. And, I hope you have a swell time.

Check Benton Hotel Deals