Big Country Inn.

10006 100 Ave, Nampa, Canada

Big Country Inn. Nampa Reviews

planxty planxty
Yet another decent country bar. Mar 07, 2017
My friend Lynne and I had arrived in Nampa pretty late in the evening after a fairly hectic day of sightseeing driving North and West along Highway 2, heading from Lesser Slave Lake and hoping to get as far as Peace River that night although we never make specific plans. We knew that we were only about 20 miles or so from our destination so it was one more stop before the final stretch.

People that knnow me will know that my stops invariably end up in a pub and I had already dragged poor Lynne into more than enough that day. Obviously she cannot drink whilst driving and I sometimes wonder how she puts up with it but she seems to.

The premises that had caught my eye was the Big Country Inn (or BCI as it is apparently locally known) which, like so many other similar enterprises in Alberta doubles as liquor store, motel, bar & grill and probably several other things beside. It is aptly named as this really is big, big country.

This was my third visit to Canada and I still find it difficult to get my head round how vast it is, not to mention the seemingly endless skies I had just been marvelling at as the sun was lowering.

Leaving the campervan in the ample parking space we wandered in and it is here that the title of this tip will hopefully be explained. I really should have a template for Albertan rural bars that says, "clean, tidy, large screen TVs, gaming machines (VLTs as they are called here), pool table(s), no draught beer only bottled, friendly service and empty"! Honestly, I have just summed up the place in one sentence but it would be lazy to leave it there so therefore I'll add a few details.

We arrived there at about 2130 and there was literally not a soul in the place and, as seems usual, we even had to wait for the barman to appear. I realise Nampa is a small rural community and in summer everyone is probably getting up at the crack of dawn but I really would have expected at least someone there. After the obligatory pleasant chat and the consequent slight surprise that we even stopped off there, it was time to order. I suspect they probably don't get much in the way of non-resident passing trade especially unkempt Northern Irishmen with nigh on impenetrable accents.

By this point I was accustomed to the fact that draught beer in the area was about as rare as hen's teeth and so a bottle was called for with a drink for Lynne. I suppose the volume of trade does not justify draught as it would go off and bottles have a longer shelf life. Prices were about par for the course for Northern Alberta which I was getting used to but still surprised me a little as I can drink in "fancy" bars in Edmonton for just about the same money or not very much more.

When I used the "facilities" they were clean and tidy too and BCI is a perfectly acceptable and welcoming place to have a drink but time really was running so we bade farewell, jumped in the van and literally drove off into the sunset.

I've always wanted to write that!
Nampa Map