Big Blue backpackers

Big Blue backpackers Rates and Deals

Big Blue backpackers Cape Town Reviews

Stigen Stigen
Cheap,central and social ! Feb 23, 2012
this is probably one of the better hostels in all of Cape town. The price was surprisingly low compared to the other hostels in the area, but it was still a very good quality place to stay..

The staff were friendly and forthcoming, and there was free wifi here (unlike many of the places we stayed in South Africa).

the location of this place is absolutely great, it is on the waterfront, only about 10 minutes walk from Long street and the main areas.

There was a very social atmosphere here with so many rooms and dorms that they can accomodate a lot of people. There is a nice and cheap bar area, cheap breakfast on offer, and a nice pool area too.

The rooms were clean and very nice. Looks pretty much like a standard hotel room, except it was only 300 RAND !

The biggest drawback about this place(and the reason it is 4 stars and not 5) is that there is only one single toilet for men, and it is not on the same floor as the room!

The woman don`t have that problem as there is a very big bathroom with toilets and showers for girls both in the first and second floor.

When I had to go to toilet at night it was a very challenging taks of making my way downstairs in the pitch black. Downstairs there was a large man sleeping on the sofa (presumably the night receptionist), and I couldn`t really go down there without waking him...so felt very silly.

Guys really just end up going to the girlsroom because it is too riddicuosly far to go to the mensroom.

I think it would make more sense with unisex toilets when the re are so few around, and all except one are dedicated to girls!
The room
sylviandavid says:
Good review..... Love the situation with the bathrooms.... too funny!
Posted on: Jun 23, 2012
spocklogic says:
That is a strange arrangement for the toilet facilities. 5 stars for women, but only 4 stars for men.
Posted on: Mar 25, 2012
chasingclouds chasingc…
Best place to see the sea and meet people Aug 17, 2011
From the moment I arrived at Big Blue backpackers, I knew I had struck gold!The dorms are R100 PP.... There seems to be an ongoing list of pro's for this place! For a start - it's huge, there are lots of different types of rooms to choose from, there are many comfortable places to chill out and chat or to surf the (FREE!) wifi either on your own laptop or one of their computers.

The kitchen is well equipped, there is everything you need although minus an oven, which is forgivable seeing as everything I've had to cook has been on the hob or micro!

There are designated bathrooms, male and female - which I think is great! The showers are powerful and hot, spacious and they lay down clean towels so you can dry your feet on the way out.

The dorms are very light and spacious, the room I'm staying in has 4 sets of bunk beds, all girls..with lockers to keep your valuables as well as a safe downstairs.

A basic breakfast is available for R20 as well as free tea and coffee making facilities, bonus!

I met so many interesting people here in the last few days, it's a very relaxed backpackers and seems to attract delightful travellers. It's super close to the Waterfront and a 5/10 minute stroll to Sea Point, where you can watch the sea crash against the pier, watch surfers and it's also an amazing spot to watch the sunset.

All in all staying at the Big Blue backpackers has really increased the enjoyment of my stay whilst here in Cape Town and I'm really glad I chose to stay here.
View of the Pier at Sea Point
Top of Table mountain, close to th…
Steph2hpc Steph2hpc
So much nicer than Long Street! Nov 02, 2011
I was told that to visit Cape Town you absolutely have to stay on Long Street... Two uncomfortable nights later in a squalid and damp backpackers (Cat&Moose) I jumped in a taxi and headed to the Big Blue... What a lucky change of plan! The place is just what I was looking for; clean, comfortable, free wifi, lovely staff - even free tea/coffee! The location is great too, as Green Point is only a 10 mins walk from the gorgeous V&A waterfront, so there's lots to do (besides just drinking!). The very friendly (and not at all pushy) guys on the desk can organise any trip you fancy - and believe me, there's LOTS to see and do in Cape Town! Don't let appearances fool you (it doesn't look much from the outside) this is a gem of a backpackers. At only 100 rand a night I ended up staying a whole week - and I wouldn't hesitate to go back if I am ever in Cape Town again :-)

Related Travel Blogs About Big Blue backpackers

Travel blog so far
January 03 2007     Oliver. You’re late! Carl barked at me. We had scheduled a meeting to run through the current situation on the recruitment sales pipeline.  I checked my watch…cape town to being surrounded by crazy thai people.   The journey was a pain in the ass, I left Sarah’s at 6am South African time, and arrived…

Check Big Blue backpackers Rates and Deals