Bibi Afrika.

@bibiafrika - +32 465 89 94 05

Bibi Afrika. Liege Reviews

planxty planxty
A fine bar with a little secret. Apr 20, 2017
Whilst out for a bit of a wander one evening in Liege I came upon what looked like a bar although, as is the way here, it was rather more a bar / restaurant than purely a drinking establishment. It was called Bibi Afrika and that gave me sort of a clue as to what it's provenance may have been. Like my country although albeit to a considerably lesser degree, the Belgians had something of an empire, predominantly in the 19th and into the 20th centuries. In the Belgian case it centred very much on Central Africa and is something that has come back to haunt them badly in recent times but it is a fact and there is no escaping the number of central Africans in the country. It doesn't bother me, a bar is a bar and so in I went.

The bar was pretty small but immaculately clean and tidy and I immediately got the impression that, like so many places in this country, it was as much eating house as watering hole although nobody was eating at that time. Truth be told, nobody was eating because there was nobody there! OK, it was getting on a bit on a fairly unpleasant April evening but I had the place completely to myself. Not a problem, I can do that.

I propped myself up in my accustomed position at the bar and ordered a beer which, needless to say in this country of beer lovers, arrived perfectly kept and poured. A bit of conversation with the server in the schoolboy French I was now becoming more and more comfortable with and it was indeed a pleasant time spent.

It was only whilst researching this review for TravBuddy that I discovered that the premises is actually a not for profit organisation although I can find no further details of the background of that. Whilst I would have been quite prepared to recommend Bibi Afrika as a very decent little bar per se I can only further endorse that recommendation with my new knowledge. If I can have a well-served beer in a pleasant little bar and maybe do a tiny little bit of good along the way whilst doing so then I cannot see any downside to that, can you?

Recommended.