Beware of dishonest Taxi drivers

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Beware of dishonest Taxi drivers Ho Chi Minh City Reviews

adrianaaaron adrianaa…
Don't let them cheat you Mar 07, 2013
While I was travelling around Saigon, I was ripped off from the day I stepped out from the local airport till' the day I left my hotel before I headed back to my country. It almost got the worst out of me - having to bear with the high charges just to get from my hotel to the city centre or otherwise. My friends told me to take either Vinasun or Mai Linh for they are much better and honest compared to the others. Read more on what I have to say about Vinasun drivers:

I was aware that the hotel that I stayed in wasn't the best place for a budget traveller like me. I thought it was not very far from the city centre; I was right. It was not very far from the city centre after all, but due to slow traffic, a 15 minutes ride felt like a 30 minutes ride instead - that means I gotta pay extra for the extra minutes that I spent on sitting. Travelling to the places I wanted to visit was indeed a challenge for me as I was travelling alone most of the time. I didn't have anyone to share the taxi fare. I can spend almost VND300,000 every day just on taxi rides. I should have stayed in Pham Ngu Lao, but I did not. I won't regret for staying in Go Vap District. The hotel where I spent my nights is after all very good and comfortable. It is also close to the airport.

Going to the city is always easy for me; going back is a different story. After spending 8 days in Saigon, I have observed one similar habit that all the drivers share - lost their way. I was like "Are you kidding me?". It has been the same boring excuse that I had to deal with every time I wanted to go back to my hotel. Maybe they were lost after all. Once they noticed that they were lost, that would go out from the taxi and asked the locals who hangout at the sidewalk. Then, went back in the taxi, drove another 5 minutes and reached the destination. This was exactly what happened 8 days in a row! What are the odds?

There was once when a taxi driver charged me VND270,000. I have never paid that much just to get back to my hotel for the taxi fare that I normally had to pay will never exceed VND160,000. At that time, I just knew that he was trying to cheat me. I refused to pay. He could not understand me. Therefore, I had to take out my notebook and then bargain for the taxi fare. I explained to him that I will not pay VND270,000. Instead, I will just pay VND200,000. I was pretty sure that it shouldn't be that much, but I was really tired to argue, especially when I was all alone in a foreign land. He smiled and agreed to take the VND200,000. He thanked me and pretended that VND70,000 was not a big deal at all. I just knew that he was busted for his attempt to cheat me. Hence, smiling and pretending as if nothing happened was the best way for him to make his way out from getting caught. I just felt like yelling at him, but I did not. I was very calm and before leaving the taxi, I said "Thank you".

The next thing I did was warning my friends about it. They told me the same old thing: "They always do that".
Taxi
adrianaaaron says:
Bad experience for 8 days in a row! Yet, I will still come back to Vietnam for its other cities. We learn from our travel after all :)
Posted on: Mar 14, 2013
gingerbatik says:
yeah, I got cheated once in Vietnam on mafia taxi, paid a fortune for 5 minutes ride. other than that the taxi driver were really nice and helpful. Sorry you had bad experience.
Posted on: Mar 14, 2013