Beware of Pickpockets

Melbourne, Australia

Beware of Pickpockets Melbourne Reviews

Katie_Cupcake Katie_Cu…
Beware of Pickpockets within the centre Aug 22, 2012
Ok basically I just wanted to make people aware that although Melbourne is one of the friendly cities I have been to there are still those naughty little people around who would prefer to take what you have rightfully worked for and paid for instead of actually getting a job themselves and paying for it. I think you always have to be aware of pickpocketers no matter which country you are in because people see travelers and see us as easy targets. I don't know whether its just the safe atmosphere in Melbourne that makes you feel like this isn't going to go on but i'm afraid it does. On my first day I had my day back pack opened more or less 3/4 times in different parts of the city. Luckily I always keep a money belt on with cash, cards, phone and camera etc so I didn't have much in value that they could really take. I think it's really important to stay aware of your surroundings and maybe put locks on your back packs if you insist on keeping items of value in there. Id recommend a money belt any day you can get one for a pretty cheap price that's comfortable and pretty unnoticeable, I kept mine under my t-shirt and tucked in to my jeans and I don't even think anyone noticed. It's worth doing when travelling alone especially as you have no one else to keep an eye on your bags.
LindsayA says:
Thanks for the warning, I also didn't get the feeling of pickpockets when I was in Melbourne, but I guess they get everywhere and tourists are easy pickings with all sorts in their bags. At least you had taken precautions.
Posted on: Sep 06, 2012