Beware Of Taxi Drivers

Mumbai, India

Beware Of Taxi Drivers Mumbai Reviews

David4773 David4773
Make Sure to Research your Destination prior to Arrival Apr 23, 2011
I was in India 3 years ago (2008) and I traveled alone through Mumbai, Goa, Bangalore, Channai, and Cochin. Let me take a moment and express the importance to know your distances of your destination prior to arrival in these cities. It took me a few day in Mumbai to figure it out but there's a ton of scammers and hustlers looking to take advantage of travelers.

EXAMPLE: On my way back I spent 3 more days in mumbai. Upon arrival, I was staying at Hyatt Regency (1.2 KM from Airport according to Travelocity and TravAdvisor). I got in cab and actually video's the experience of aking the cab driver how far. He tells me 10KM, which in India could take almost an hour, depending on time of day. We continued to argue until he took me there after a 20 minute run around. The tolerance for tis is India is not accepted by the Hotels in the area. Upon learning this, they quickly radio'd up front and shut the gates, not allowing the driver out; and getting my money back from him.

While shocking and, of course, a wild experience, it showed the importance of knowing these things prior to arrival in ANY Indian city.

PLEASE NOTE*** India is a tremendous country with plenty to offer any traveller. I am soon to arrive in Calcutta this May for a return to the Country. Just be safe and prepared, as we all should in any country. Safe Travels!!!! :o)
daniellelooije says:
Yes, I was very happy to have known these kind of things before I went to India. Also, although not used to it, I learned that yelling and being rude to the scammers helped.
Posted on: Mar 10, 2012
kevin22 kevin22
Jun 23, 2007
watch out for taxi drivers in mumbai, always get down and check the meter properly before you start your jouney, be more carefull if the meter is covered by plastic, it makes it even more difficult to judge what your starting reading is.

Also be very carefull when you pay, sometimes its easy for your taxi charge to cross 500 rupees especially if you are ttravelling across the city, the 500 rupee and 100 rupee note look alike, so when your fare comes say 670rs and you give say a 500+100+100 notes , the cab driver will palm the 500 and replace it with a 100 rupee note,and then you will shed out more cash to make up the balance, they are so good at this that you will not even doubt for a second that you gave the right change in the first place. i was a gullable victim once. if ever you have a choice of a pre paid taxi take it, dont take a taxi off the street unless you have to, prepaid taxis are available in places like railway stations airports etc.

have a safe journey !!!!!

Check Mumbai Hotel Deals