Bettembourg Castle

13, Bettembourg, Luxembourg
Bettembourg Castle - As far as I got.
Bettembourg Castle - What exactly is this meant to be?
Bettembourg Castle - It is beautifully maintained.
Bettembourg Castle - Land of the giants?
Bettembourg Castle - Excellent topiary.
Bettembourg Castle - Not bad for a farmhouse!
Bettembourg Castle - The charming little waterway.

Bettembourg Castle Reviews

planxty planxty
A walk in the park. Apr 24, 2017
I have mentioned on other reviews attached to this journal entry that the small town of Bettembourg boasts an impressive array of open spaces and the park which forms the gardens of Bettembouurg Castle are probably the largest and easily the most impressive. I reached the gardens via a walk along the delightfully named Didlangerbach watercourse and across a delightful little footbridge which afforded me my first view of the castle, of which more anon. Certainly it was chilly but at least it was not raining and I took a bit of a wander round the immaculately maintained area which. apart from several paths (all apparently fully accessible I am glad to report) I did find a few odd little things. Actually, in the case of the chair pictured it was not a little thing at all but an extremely large one and I still have not worked out whether it was meant to function as "art", a photo opportunity or something else as it was certainly too large and would have been far too dangerous to be play apparatus for children. Speaking of "art" I also spotted the other piece pictured which is apparently a modern sculpture but just looked like a large lump of rusting metal to me. Still, what do I know about modern art?

In stark contrast to the crime against sculpture mentioned above, the castle itself is absolutely beautiful although it is not really a castle in the accepted sense of the term but rather an overgrown farmhouse which was first built in 1733 by a chap called Lothaire de Zievel on the site of an old 10th century fort. It was bought over by Charles Collart in 1807 and remained in that family until as late as 1971 when it was acquired by the local authority who took a typically bureaucratic 20 years to convert it into the town hall and "Administration Communale" which it remains to this day. I noticed a sign which, if I translated it correctly told me to keep out unless I had official business there and I did not think taking tourist snaps qualified as such so I had to content myself with a peek through the gate which revealed a superb building round three sides of a courtyard. I'd love to have a look inside, it must be wonderful.

Even if you cannot get into building itself the park is well worth a visit.
The charming little waterway.
Not bad for a farmhouse!
Excellent topiary.
Land of the giants?
planxty says:
Thanks for your comment, Victor. I don't quite know how it happens, I just seem to stumble upon interesting places by accident, usually when I am half lost!
Posted on: Dec 04, 2017
vicIII says:
You are good at finding superb places to relax and to enjoy...
Posted on: Dec 04, 2017