Best western hotel cour st. Georges

Average rate: $97 - Hotel class: 3 stars
Botermarkt 2, Ghent, Belgium

Check Ghent Hotel Deals

Best western hotel cour st. Georges Ghent Reviews

ik-ben-10eke ik-ben-1…
My first Best Western Jul 31, 2009
I googled for hotels in the old town center of Ghent, and came across several all in the same price range (abt. 100 euro), so all of them over the budget I had in mind, but at the Cour St. Georges the breakfast was included and because of the location I went for this one.

The reservation done by email, I mentioned in that mail our estimated time of arrival at noon, and the answer came that everything would be fine.

So, we arrived at noon, no-one at the reception, no bell to ask for attention, but after almost 5 minutes of waiting someone came to the desk. We told that lady our name and reservation, and the first thing the lady replied was that we were too early, the room would not be ready before 15.00 hours. OK, I can understand that, but I would have appreciated if she told us in a more polite way. She told us we could leave our luggage at the reception, quickly handed us over a city plan, pointed out where we were as well as the restaurant quarters, and we were on our way out again, and into town. Ah, well, that is what we came here for right?

After spending those hours in town we returned to the Cour St. Georges about 14.50, still 10 minutes early. Another girl was now at the reception desk, on my question if we could check in now or that we were too early again she replied she would do the check in, no problem.

We had to pay the bill in advance, she handed us over the keys, we took our luggage and we went upstairs to our room.

Nice room, but there were still empty softdrink bottles on the table, and we noticed a broken lampshade.... grrrrr!

The bed was a double bed, while we expected twin beds, but I was not sure that was in the reservation. (At home I checked my email and indeed the hotel had confirmed twin beds - did not want to check it in the hotel with their internet charge of 8 euro for 30 minutes).

I did not want to use the phone, instead I went down again, handed over the empty bottles, and mentioned the broken lampshade. The girl had the decency to be embarrased, and within moments she herself came to repair the lampshade.

Fast service, but it would not have been necessary if the room had been in order.

The old location of the Cour St. Georges was in a medieval building at the Botermarkt, but since it is part of the Best Western chain it is moved across the street and is now located in two old gentlemen's townhouses, which makes that the rooms are all different. Ours had a small corridor with our bedroom on one side and the bathroom on the other side of the corridor. Minor point was the high treshold of our bedroom, we had steps up and down.

But it looked nice and cozy as far as a hotelroom can be cozy.

There was a TV set on a desk, and some nice chairs and a small sidetable. A folder contained historical information on the old town of Ghent.

Two big windows on the streetside, looking towards the former location of the Cour St. Georges, and beyond we could see the tower of the Belfort.

As I mentioned earlier, the breakfast was included, and served from 8.00 to 11.30.

There was a nice variety of plain and sweet buns as well as a fresh loaf, dairy, fresh fruit (plain or as salad), jams, honey, cheese. There were also boiled and fried eggs, however the dishes of the fried eggs and bacon were almost empty when we got there, at 10.15 - and stayed that way, they were not filled again all the time we were having our breakfast.

The breakfast room was nicely decorated in art nouveau style, a sign indicating not to touch the vintage walls. These were really old walls, you could see unrepaired holes in it, a true pity for such nice decoration.

After breakfast we went back to our room to pack the last things of our stuff, while busy with it the cleaning lady entered, but left immediately seeing us still there. This happened another 2 times, before we were finally ready to leave.

As I arranged we could leave our luggage again at the reception desk until we would leave for the train later that afternoon. The man at the reception desk assured me all trains would also stop at Ghent Dampoort station, which is closer to the old town center.

Will I ever stay in the Cour St. Georges? I don't think so, because of our first impression, even have doubts whether I want to stay in another hotel of the Best Western chain.
Art nouveau decoraton on the radia…
Decorated walls in the breakfast r…
View from our room at the old Cour…
Coats of arms at the old Cour St. …

Best western hotel cour st. Georges Overview

This property can be found sitting in Ghent’s historic city center, just a short distance from many of the area’s attractions. Just opposite the BEST WESTERN Hotel Cour St. Georges are the City Hall and the tourist office. St. Baafs Cathedral is within walking distance of the hotel, as are numerous shops and theaters. Gravensteen medieval castle is 3 kilometers away, and guests are also close to venues that offer boating tours on the Rijen River. Ghent’s airport is located only 31 miles away from the BEST WESTERN Hotel Cour St. Georges.

The BEST WESTERN Hotel Cour St. Georges is comprised of 31 guestrooms, all of which are equipped with standard in-room facilities in order to make guests more comfortable during their stay. A desk, hairdryer, ironing board, television, and bathtub are some of the available amenities. Non-smoking rooms are available.

This hotel is housed within a very traditional building with a Gothic style, and dates back to the 13th century. A delicious buffet breakfast is prepared each morning to help guests get their day off to a good start. After a long day, guests can relax with a refreshing drink in the BEST WESTERN Hotel Cour St. Georges’s cocktail lounge. Pets are allowed.

Best western hotel cour st. Georges Amenities

• Photocopier
  • Desk
  • Direct dial phone
  • Facsimile
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower