Bernisches Historisches Museum

www.bhm.ch - +41 31 350 77 11

Bernisches Historisches Museum Reviews

slothtraveller slothtra…
Bern's history museum is a gem Jan 24, 2017
I visited Bern's History Museum on the final day of my trip to Switzerland in 2013. I originally only planned on spending a couple of hours there but I ended up staying for four hours! This was mainly due to the fact that a temporary exhibition featuring a group of the world famous Terracotta Army warriors was visiting Switzerland for the first time. The exhibition entitled 'Qin- The Eternal Emperor and His Terracotta Warriors' was an amazing collection of early Chinese relics and artifacts focusing primarily on the Qin and Han dynasties. It was fascinating to see the life-sized Terracotta Warriors and to learn more about where they were found and why they were constructed. I didn't realise that Qin's Terracotta Army included other figures such as entertainers, as well as warriors. There was also an amazing life-sized representation of a horse that I doubt could have been improved upon had it been made today. I spent over an hour in the Qin exhibition before I even saw what the rest of the museum had to offer. Sadly I couldn't take any photographs of the Qin exhibition as photography was not allowed and you are asked to leave your belongings in one of the lockers provided before entering.

The other floors of the museum cover a diverse range of topics. Of the exhibits specific to Bern, there is a vast collection of silver as well as captured treasures from Bernese conquests in the 15th and 16th centuries. The ground floor features exhibits on other cultures, such as the Ancient Egyptians, American Indians and Asians.

My favourite part of the museum other than the Qin exhibition was the Einstein museum which can be found on the second floor. This is the world's only museum dedicated to the life and work of Albert Einstein. Here I learned that Einstein finalised his Theory of Relativity while living in Bern. I particularly liked the Einstein Museum as not only does it show a timeline of Einstein's life and achievements, it also chronicles a timeline of events that were happening at the time such as the Great Depression, the Second World War and the McCarthy witch hunt. This helped me put Einstein's life into context.

The entry price of 18 CHF (including Einstein Museum) is fair considering the amount there is to see here.

Opening hours are Tues-Sun 10am-5pm. Closed on Mondays.

Address: Helvetiaplatz 5, Bern

Website: http://www.bhm.ch/en/
Bern History Museum
Bernisches Historisches Museum

Compare Berne Hotel Rates (4.3km away)

Bern Map