Beqa Lagoon Resort

Beqa Lagoon Resort Rates and Deals

Beqa Lagoon Resort Beqa Island Reviews

NeverLift NeverLift
Unspoiled Island Apr 30, 2011
First: Rates. The rate posted here and my giving it just 3 $ may seem to disagree. However, they regularly offer packages that include round trip air fare from LAX; subract the value of that fare from their package price, and the nightly per-person cost of their private air-cinditioned (which we didn't run!) cottages for two is much lower.

Beqa (pronounced "mbenga" -- blame the missionaries for their idea of an appropriate alphabet for an oral language) is as close to unspoiled as one can expect and still have a resort (or two -- I understand another is present somewhere on the island). We were there ca. 1999, when the resort was named Marlin Bay.

Unspoiled: No roads, no vehicles. Walk, or by boat. But not an unpopulated speck; rather, several villages, and a multitude of churches. I imagine the natives didn't wear quite this much before the missionaries tried to ruin an otherwise tranquil and idyllic existence. Luckily clothing was their worst imposition.

The accomodations were pefect, just as described on their web page. I have pictures posted on my page. Food was as advertised, staff was unfailingly cheerful and helpful. Shore diving is minimal, though,takes forever to get swim out to where there's something worth the effort, but boat dives are definitely the way to go. Waters can be rough. If you'r a snorkeler (like me -- my companion was the diver), there won't be much for you.

Don't know if this is still a policy, but: We arranged for a game fishing expedition, deep water trolling for an afternoon. Not even a nibble. When the owner casually asked how the day had gone, as we met him as we were heading back to our bure, and I told him about the absence of action, he immediately responded, "Then there's no charge." Something I never expected, always felt that the risk of no catch was part of the experience and belonged on the fisherman.

This is the island of the firewalkers. They really do it (see pics). Learn a little about the kava ceremony; your proper observance of it, sitting in a circle the evening of the day of firewalking will be appreciated. And, no, do expect a deep drugged epiphany; the stuff is pretty mild.

Become friendly with the chief of the local village -- at our visit, he was in charge of the facility's day to day operation -- and be invited to services there, possibly meet his family.

Beqa Lagoon Resort Overview

The Beqa Lagoon Resort offers an outdoor pool, a tour desk and a private beach as well as a concierge, babysitting / child services and laundry facilities. Beqa Island town centre is within a 10 minute drive from the resort.

Beqa Lagoon Resort Amenities