Beqa Adventure Divers

Pacific Harbour, Fiji

Beqa Adventure Divers Pacific Harbour Reviews

alexchan alexchan
Fiji Shark Dive Jun 19, 2015
There are two outfits at Pacific Harbour that offer the Shark Dive experience where they feed the sharks underwater in front of the divers/customers.

Beqa Adventure Divers is one outfit and the other is Aquatrek. I chose the former.

The dive site is at Shark Reef Marine Reserve.

The first dive, we descended straight down to 30m where we knelt behind a low coral wall for about 15 mins to watch the bull sharks being fed from a bin. The graceful creatures swam round and round and nudged the bin waiting for their feed. The bin was operated by ropes, somewhat like a puppet on strings. Depending on the tilt, it may open to let out a piece of tuna head.

It’s not too different from a cat or dog a meal time. Strangely, it wasn’t scary even though they are so close. I had to duck a few times as they glided past my head! It was mildly thrilling but the overwhelming emotion was one of awe!

We then came up to 15m and knelt to watch reef sharks (grey, black tip and white tip) being fed. Again, this lasted for about 15 mins. This wasn’t so good for me as my view was obscured by small reef fish.

The second dive, we descended down to 15m for 30 minutes to watch more bull sharks being fed tuna heads from the puppeted bin. This wasn’t too different from the first dive. But the “extra” this dive was the hand-feeding of the bull sharks. It was pretty unreal seeing the tuna head being let go by the feeder just in time to go into the mouth of the passing shark. I couldn’t get enough of those hand-fed moments.

Coming back up, a number of us headed towards the wrong boat. The divemasters were good at picking that up (considering they can’t see our faces well) and ushered us back into the right direction.

For both dives, we had to enter the water and hold on to a current line floating in the choppy seas, wait for everyone to be in the water before descending. And for getting out, we held on to the current line once we surfaced and patiently waited our turn before climbing up the ladder.

It was an experience so awesome, it was beyond words. The fact that it was “staged” or a “performance” didn’t make it less awesome. I’ve always considered myself to be a spoilt diver having done Sipadan several times. Having experienced this makes me even more spoilt than ever.
The sharks really do come up close!

Compare Suva Hotel Rates (14.1km away)

Pacific Harbour Map