Benkei Japanese Restaurant

Northport, Alabama
Benkei Japanese Restaurant - Teppanyaki chef show (trying to get a guest breaking an egg)
Benkei Japanese Restaurant - the making of fried rice
Benkei Japanese Restaurant - the killer shrimp sauce
Benkei Japanese Restaurant - steak and shrimp

Benkei Japanese Restaurant Northport Reviews

Joanepetit Joanepet…
Delish! Mar 04, 2009
Last February some Brazilian friends of mine took me to this japanese restaurant during my last stay in Rio. I really did not expect the quality of the food. I am a cook and I have high standards when eating is the matter. At Benkei, chef Marina Tasakhi takes time to properly clean and prepare the fish. So I assure that you can expect excellent sushi, sashimi and tempuras. After a little chat with Mrs. Tasakhi I was lured to taking the Sushiman course that they offer. I extended my stay and payed a bit more on ticket fares, the sushi course (R$290, aproximately $125) and hotel, but it was worth it.
o_dog o_dog
Oct 18, 2007
I like this restaurant. Not only because it serves the best authentic Japanese food in town, but also because it does not seem americanized. Yes, there is still entertainment, where the teppanyaki chef gets the guests involved in catching bits and pieces of food thrown to by the chef. But at least the food is way much better than other Japanese restaurants. The restaurant is located on 1223 McFarland Boulevard North East at the criss-crossing of Northport and T-town. It sits next to the Little Pepito's.

The inside of the restaurant is fairly small. There are only four teppanyaki burners. Up to eight people can sit around a burner. During a busy night, the line can get very long. But don't worry, you can wait to get a seat while sipping on a sake, or a Kirin or Sapporo.

I am not too crazy about getting involved with all the entertainment over the teppanyaki chef show. I'm a bit shy .. (yeah right). I just don't want some corn kernel or a whole egg landing on my face. thank you ;)

I usually order steak and shrimp with fried rice, miso soup and shrimp sauce. The shrimp sauce -- listen this is very important -- the shrimp sauce is killer. It's a fantastic condiment for the steak and shrimp or other ingredients.
Teppanyaki chef show (trying to ge…
the making of fried rice
the killer shrimp sauce