Beng Mealea

063 760 079

Beng Mealea Siam Reap Reviews

pensacolapyro pensacol…
New favorite temple in the Siem Reap area Jul 04, 2015
So I have done the short loop tour in Angkor Wat, I have done the long loop tour. Now I have a new favorite temple. Beng Mealea. It is about an hour ride in a car from Siem Reap. I do not suggest the tuk tuk as the road is bumpy and dusty and takes almost twice as long, however is cheaper to do this.

This temple is very large and falling down much like the rest of them, but there are tour guides that will give you the inside look and take you all over the temple, I mean all over. They work for tips, but well worth a few dollars. Our guide took us under and over and in all the good spots to take pictures, even help you get the perfect shots. Very beautiful and amazing. This temple does charge $5 USD to enter.

We basically hired a driver to take us outside the Siem Reap area to visit four temples including the sunset temple Phnon Bakheng. Make sure you have a valid Angkor Wat pass already with you as it will be needed at a couple of the stops. The price for a car is about $85 for the day but it is a long and wonderful day. Start about 9am and get back to hotel about 8pm. If you can find three of you to share the expense it is well worth it.
gingerbatik gingerba…
Beng Mealea restaurant Jun 27, 2013
This restaurant located outside the front gate of Beng Mealea temple. The tuk tuk driver take us to this restaurant which looks quite local and nothing fancy like other tourist restaurants near Siam Reap temple.

When we go inside and have a look at the menu, I though the price was very expensive for this type of restaurant and for the kind of food they offered, especially for papaya salad which they sell for 6 usd. I like papaya salad but seeing the price, I do not want to order it even I can pay for it. It is just outrageously rip off.

Unfortunately both of us order the same food, stir fried pork with vegetables and rice. When the food come up, the quantity was small, not many meat in it and the main dish just mix together with rice. Usually we have main dish serves separately on different plate. Taste was not nice either. Very unhappy with this restaurant.

I tick expensive for this type of restaurant as what they offer and what we get is very bad.
inside restaurant
restaurant sign
fried pork with vegetables and rice
gingerbatik gingerba…
Beng Mealea Jun 27, 2013
It is 77 km from Siam Reap city and takes one and half hours bumpy ride between the road to go there and it is really worth it and you need to pay entrance fee of usd5 per person for this temple, the Angkor watt ticket pass is not valid here. The temple was built in middle of the 12th century, with later additions in the rein of the SuryavarmanII with the style of Angkor Wat and dedicated to Hinduism.

Though un restored, and in a fairly ruinous state, with collapsed galleries and towers (the central sanctuary is virtually a pit, with no superstructure whatsoever). The most important is simply the wear and tear of eight and a half centuries in a tropical climate, with the spread of vegetation, including the silk-cotton tree and strangler fig which grow on temple wall.

Beng Mealea was built of blue sandstone from local quarries, and while there are no narrative bas-relief panels as at Angkor Wat, there is a fair amount of decoration on walls and pilasters, all of a high standard, as well as apmras, lintels and few pediments. The religious history is also unknown, with carvings showing legends of Vishnu, Shiva and the Buddha.
the long walkway to the temple
the 5 snakes statue guarding the t…
the temple ruin

Compare Singer Island Hotel Rates (<1km away)

Siam Reap Map