Ben Stack

Achfary, Scotland

Ben Stack Achfary Reviews

davidx davidx
Small but great Aug 18, 2010
Mountains should not be judged by height alone. I hope to write about some of the higher Scottish mountains here - Munroes (above 3000 feet) and Corbetts (below Munroe status but over 2.500 feet). If you live in a country with far higher mountains, try not to scoff - many people used to far higher mountains have left Scotland spellbound by its scenery. Anyway Ben Stack is lower than a Corbett - which does have some advantages. It is very near a main road but has not suffered the terrible erosion that Sack Pollaidh, for example, has suffered from proximity to a far more minor road.

I first met ben Stack by chance. I was a lecturer in Further Education and we had a party of students staying at Ullapool. The weather was terrible and day after day I had to rule that it was not safe to go up anything. Quite a few of the students were well fed up but accepted that it did not make sense. So we decided to go to Durness and have a walk in the far north-west along the cliffs.

On the way the weather improved significantly but it seemed too late to do much. They implored me to think of a smaller mountain that might be possible in th time. I consulted a map and there was Ben Stack, not ten miles away!

It is like a far higher mountain in miniature - offering a ridge of only moderate difficulty but a good introduction to ridge walking because of its exposure and views. Its shape put it along with far higher mountains in my personal ratings. We didn't see that much then - the cloud was still low - but I have been since and I still love it.

Compare Rhiconich Hotel Rates (13.5km away)

Ben Stack Map