1782 Tv 3 de Maio, Lisbon, Portugal
(91) 3229-5320

Belém Tower Lisbon Reviews

Johnpro Johnpro
Nice Towel Nice View ! Mar 06, 2011
Belem tower built in 1515 as a fortress to guard the entrance to Lisbon's harbor, the Belem Tower was the starting point for many of the voyages of discovery, and for the sailors it was the last sight of their homeland.

It is a monument to Portugal's Age of Discovery, often serving as a symbol of the country, and UNESCO has listed it as a World Heritage monument.

Built in the Manueline style, it incorporates many stonework motifs of the Discoveries, sculptures depicting historical figures such as St. Vincent and an exotic rhinoceros that inspired Durer's drawing of the beast.

The architect, Francisco de Arruda, had previously worked on Portuguese fortifications in Morocco, so there are also Moorish-style watchtowers and other Moorish influences. Facing the river are arcaded windows, delicate Venetian-style loggias, and a statue of Our Lady of Safe Homecoming, a symbol of protection for sailors on their voyages.

Personal believe is the highlight of the city and you must visit it !

Easy access with tram no 15 and the ticket price are 5 euro @ 2011 !

Some photos available to have a look :)
Johnpro says:
that's it Jutta :) I try to give also my best to do this trip :) And everyday push your husband for the trip until booked your tickets :)
Posted on: Jan 18, 2012
realrv6 realrv6
The most popular monument of Lisbon Mar 10, 2011
The Belém Tower was built in 1915 by Manuel I at the exact spot where Vasco da Gama sailed to India. It is declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

When it was built, the tower was entirely on the river Tagus. It was a lighthouse, a fortress and even the place where ships paid the entrance fee to the city. After a big earthquake in 1755, the river was diverted and now the tower is located on the banks of the river.

Lisbon was the capital of a vast maritime empire and the tower was its symbol.

It is one of the most popular and photographed monuments of Lisbon.
TravellinChic says:
We were just in Lisbon...I think we only stayed for a week (more or less) bec it was right after our project deadline and before our finals...I know! We are crazy...instead of revising, we were traveling :P And I did the same in the beginning too...with other schoolmates (for Austria trip). But I was forced, you see :P Social pressure and trying to prove you could party hard while studying hard....and they say high school is tough...LOL!!! My school might be a business school but it seem everyone is a vagabond there :P There must be something in their selection process :P

It was great fun tho and for sure I had so much of the good stuff - Cod fish :P I eat cod fish everyday! It's the specialty of all restaurants and my fault is that i always ask for the specialty of the restaurant or most popular there you go :P
Posted on: Jun 27, 2011
realrv6 says:
:-) But may be I preferred Porto. Have you been there too?
Posted on: Jun 27, 2011
TravellinChic says:
You are making me feel I didn't cover enough of Lisbon and to think I have our local classmate to show us around :P
Posted on: Jun 26, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Belém Tower

Belém is an outer quarter of Lisbon. Or at least, I think it is. According to some guide books it is a part of Lisbon, according to others, it’s a separate town. The locals I’ve as…Lisbon) and the Cristo Rei. Next to that, the details in the architecture of the tower are fabulous. The national carriage museum of Belém is also…

Check Lisbon Hotel Deals