Belle Meade Plantation

5025 Memphis-Bristol Highway, Belle Meade, TN, USA
Belle Meade Plantation - Horse plantation and winery
Belle Meade Plantation - Aww crap!  That's not the sign I was hoping to see at the Visitor's center
Belle Meade Plantation - The family had their own mausoleum on their plantation

Belle Meade Plantation Reviews

HuBison HuBison
A small horse plantation and winery for a quick day's trip Jun 19, 2011
What a nifty little stop on the way through Nashville. For $10, you can take your own tour of the grounds and for $16, you can also include a tour of the house/mansion.

It used to be a horse plantation, but they also had slaves and smoked pork from 400 pigs each year. To its history,

John Harding began the Farm in 1807 when he purchased 250 acres of land near the Richland Creek. John was known for thoroughbred racing and breeding. It was customary for southern gentlemen to own and race Thoroughbreds at that time. Prior to the end of the American Civil War, Belle Meade Plantation was "home" to over 200 enslaved African Americans. The Harding family was one of the largest slave-holding families in Nashville. The deaths of William Hicks Jackson and his son William Harding Jackson ushered in the final days of Belle Meade Plantation. General Jackson died on 30 March 1903 at the age of 67; his son having contracted typhoid fever, died on 19 July 1903. After William Harding Jackson's death, the ownership of Belle Meade Plantation passed to sister Selene Elliston, his two-year-old son William Harding Jackson Jr. and the Catholic Church.

We didn't pay for the full tour, we simply paid the $10 fee and headed straight to the winery and tried 5 different wines and took the rest of the time to tour the grounds. In June, it was quite hot and there weren't many people around. They will ship the wine if you are visiting from out of town for a decent cost.

The only thing that made me panic was the sign that was posted on the door of the visitor's center/store and it warned that there were high winds and that if we heard sirens, we were to report to the visitor's center so as to be safe and avoid tornadoes-talk about freaking out. None-the-less, we made out of Nashville without any concern!
Horse plantation and winery
Aww crap! That's not the sign I w…

Related Travel Blogs About Belle Meade Plantation

We visited Belle Meade Plantation
The morning after our swimming adventures on Percy Priest Lake, we drove a little south and west of Nashville to visit Belle Meade Plantation. We opted for the seniors admission ($14.00 each) which …Belle Meade Plantation. We opted for the seniors admission ($14.00 each) which included a tour of the mansion…
Wow-I am so tired of seeing 2 lane highways
We woke up in Lexington, KY and the parking lot was nearly flooded from the rain that occurred overnight.  I went downtown to go to church and when I came back, we were packed and ready to go.&n…Belle Meade Plantation and Winery ( www. bellemeadeplantation .com ).  My watch said 4pm and it closed at 430, and we knew…

Compare Savannah Hotel Rates (2.2km away)

Belle Meade Plantation Map