Bell Coffeehouse

6-39 Yasukawachō, Nikko, Japan

Bell Coffeehouse Nikko Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Try the local speciality Oct 18, 2013
This small ‘mom and pop’ establishment is on the western side of town, a convenient 10 minutes or so walk from the Turtle Inn Annexe where we were staying and recommended by them. So it seemed an obvious place to try for dinner especially as it was drizzling with rain on our first evening.

We sat in a cosy corner near the bar, with Japanese baseball on the TV, and were given an English menu to choose from. I wanted to try the local delicacy, yuba - made from sheets of bean curd skimmed from the surface when making tofu. It sounds a bit odd but the result is not unlike pasta or noodles in consistency – maybe a little chewier. Here at the Bell it is served in many ways, including a ‘yuba feast’. In which it appears in a number of dishes. But that looked like more than either of us wanted. So instead I chose a dish of yuba and soba noodles (my favourite Japanese noodles with the extra bite that the buckwheat gives) in a broth with vegetables, which was served with a side of inari sushi. This is usually a pouch of fried tofu filled with sushi rice, but here I think was made with more of the yuba in place of the more usual tofu (an improvement as far as I was concerned, not being a fan of tofu). Meanwhile Chris had a shrimp and yuba gratin dish that he really enjoyed. We both had a large beer with our meals and later found room for dessert – chocolate cake for Chris, cheesecake for me, coffee for both of us. Our bill came to 4,330¥ which seemed good value for the two courses and beers.

The service was maybe a little slow, considering how quiet the restaurant was (only one other table was occupied for most of the time) but it was friendly and welcoming. Definitely worth trying if staying in this part of town.
In the Bell