Belgrade

Serbia

Belgrade Reviews

MickDonald MickDona…
Ugly City, but Has Character Oct 02, 2011
We arrived in Belgrade after a really early morning flight from London Luton airport. After we arrived we changed our money and then took the no. 77 (I think it was no. 77) bus into town.

After a long bus ride we got off at Zeleni Venac which is where our hostel was so it was a really convenient transfer. Our first impressions were that this city isn't very pretty to look at with all the randomly placed buildings and graffiti everywhere.

We then hit the town just looking around not going in any particular direction. For me the best thing to see is the fortress which is in one corner of the city overlooking the river. The views here are quite spectacular and you can wonder around the grounds for a long time because it's so big.

The other thing I found interesting was the bombed out buildings which we saw after walking down the hill next to the Moscow hotel and then turning left near the government building. I've never seen anything like this before so it had a kind of powerful affect on me to see these buildings right in the middle of the centre.

So Belgrade isn't a pretty place, but it has a lot to offer for nightlife. I loved the way the main streets had this buzz to them and then you could find more trendy, bohemian bars on the side streets. The riverboat clubs were really good as well and the atmosphere is very fun. People were mostly friendly here.

I'd recommend Belgrade to anyone who wants to go to an Eastern European city with a good party atmosphere and to get away from the tourist spots. I found this city to be much better than Krakow which I found to be lacking in character. It might not be as pretty as other Eastern European destinations, but it's a cool place.
mpmurph133 mpmurph1…
Sep 24, 2007
Go to Belgrade...it's cheap...Kalemegden fortress is beautiful...the food is great...the drinks are plentiful (coffee, beer and pelinka)...and the clubs along the Danube are fantastic!!! Stayed with friends so I can't suggest any places to stay but it's a great city!
Belgrade Map