Belgisch Biercafé Olivier

23 Hooigracht, Leiden, Netherlands

Belgisch Biercafé Olivier Leiden Reviews

planxty planxty
I was sure I wasn't dead. Apr 04, 2017
On the first night of my supposed four day trip to the Netherlands which ended up in Rome three and a half months and eight countries later, I had met my friend in Leiden and asked her what she fancied for dinner. Straight as a flash she anwered Oliver's which she described as a beer bar and restaurant. To be an absolute pedant it is properly called Belgisch Biercafé Olivier but the cab driver had no problem finding it. He knew what we meant. I have absolute faith in my friend as she is a proper foodie and knows what she is on about. She is also fond of the odd beer herself!

I was rather looking forward to it and I was not to be disappointed. Despite the fact that it was merely midweek, it was pretty crowded, always a good sign in my book. The surroundings are absolutely gorgeous as they an old hospital that has been very sensitively either resored or maintained. It really is a delightful setting to have a beer and whilst I had been promised the food was excellent, as it indeed proved to be, planxty was here for the beer, simple as that.

I love beers from the Low Countries and it is my considered opinion, after much research, that the Belgians make the best beer in the world. I know this draws howls of protest from the Dutch, the Germans and many other races but that is my firm belief. I wasn't going to go short here as the beer card is simply staggering. In such circumstances I like to start light both in colour and potency and work up. There is no point starting on a 12% abv Duvel and trying to work back down.

Well, I was off and a couple of hours quickly passed with planxty doing his level best to go through the card and making a valiant effort but it was very politely pointed out to him that a) she was starving and b) I would never last the course if I didn't eat so we retired to a table in the rear dining room which is equally charming.

OK, this is where it gets tricky. I was pretty well blasted by this point as I don't really like using flash in crowded restaurants where nobody else is and so I managed little in the way of credible images. After all these months I genuinely cannot recall but my meal looks remarkably like duck breast to me which would figure as I love duck. Somehow I managed a half decent image of my friend's meal and I'll have to let that suffice to show you the quality of the fare on offer here. I had a mouthful and, believe me it was beautiful.

I still even managed another bottle or two but it wasn't fair on my friend to keep her out half the night when she had work in the morning and so we wended our merry (in every sense of the word) way home. It was a perfect night and I really did think I had died and gone to Heaven, hence the rather obscure title of this review.
Ils1976 says:
that's the spirit! :D
planxty says:
I know you do and I am doing my best to drink my way through them all!
Ils1976 says:
we have much more than this delicious liquids! :D

Check Leiden Hotel Deals