Beijing Forbidden City and Ming Tombs

Beijing, China

Beijing Forbidden City and Ming Tombs Reviews

BOACJEFF BOACJEFF
Crowded Tourist Sites Oct 03, 2011
Of course when you're in Beijing you want to see the "main" attractions that are described in all the broschures. Although not one for these types of attractions I love history and so I hopped on a bus with Peter, my guide, and off we went. The Forbidden City goes on forever it seems and as I was there on a Saturday in Sept 2011 it was crowded - although Peter didn't think so as he has been there in mid summer with ALL the tourists. I was only mildly impressed, sorry, the buildings are all very much the same, ornately decorated with descriptions of what each building was used for by the then sitting Emperor. I was much more impressed with the Bhuddist Temple that sits on a hill overlooking the Forbidden City and gives one panoramic view of all of Beijing. Behai lake park was close by and a very nice respite after the crowds.

The Ming Tombs, to me, were a complete waste of time and $ especially after a day at the Great Wall. As we got to the parking area there were 30+ huge tour buses and it was even more crowded than the Fobidden City and in a smaller locale.

I was in and out in 20 mins as the crowds were so that you couldn't even begin to enjoy walking through the exhibits. I don't want to deter anyone from visiting these sites but just be aware that they do get very crowded on weekends and during peak tourist times, as do any popular sites anywhere in the world.

Check Beijing Hotel Deals