Beijing Far East Youth Hostel

Check Beijing Hotel Deals

Beijing Far East Youth Hostel Reviews

moonphoenix moonphoe…
Beijing Far East International Youth Hostel Apr 07, 2011
The hostel was difficult to find, in the darkness of the night, even for the local Taxi drivers. My flight from San Francisco to Beijing came in two hours later than expected, and I was suffering from jet lag. My taxi driver spoke no English, and I did not speak any Mandarin, except for the few phrases I learned from Lonely Planet’s Mandarin Phrase book. Luckily, the maps and bad Mandarin helped the taxi driver get me to my destination, Beijing Far East International Youth Hostel. The front desk receptionist was apparently waiting for my arrival. I found that my room was on the second floor of the newer building, instead the older hutongs. Even so, the room was clean, and had all the necessities that a guest would need, even slippers (albeit cheap slippers).

The television set didn’t work as advertised….luckily, I brought a book with me, to keep me company until I fell asleep. But before I did any sleeping, I made sure to cover the entire sleeping area with bedbug spray. There is a nice little bar in the basement which I hung around only when I needed to use the internet. The problem was that I couldn’t check my email for some reason. Is this a national thing? Did the Chinese government prohibit foreigners from check their email? No. I found out later that it was the filters set up by the hostel itself kept me from checking my yahoo account. For my future internet usage I went to this little internet café of sorts within the hutong area I was staying at.

As for the spa treatments that they offer at the hostel, I suggest going to massage businesses nearby, that are more affordable, and more pleasant environment and masseuse. Massage businesses advertising foot and body massages are everywhere. Often times they also offer other spa treatments such as facials.

If there is one thing I really enjoy about this hostel, is the location. Located in the middle of an old hutong area, there are affordable restaurants and shops everywhere. My favorite is the dumpling and noodle house right by the front entrance of the newer building. For 6 Yuan, you can get a hearty bowl of noodle soup or freshly made dumplings.

Would I stay here again? Sure, but there are other hutongs around the area that are more worth checking out. If I had to do it again, is to reserve a room for one night, and looked for a room elsewhere within the hutong.
spalloned spalloned
Has that hometown China feel Sep 19, 2008
This hostel was great because you were in a hutong area with all locals (the only tourists were the hostellers). Lots of value for the money. It was a little difficult to find at first but the staff is friendly and there is a wonderful tour desk with good prices (especially on internal flights!)
L_ombre_jaune L_ombre_…
Mar 25, 2007
The hostel is ok if you stay in the traditional part. The rest just looks like a regular hotel. Services are good. Internet is free but difficult. The tours are nice. It's in walking distance from the Forbiden city (about 20 min). The hostel is in a hutong which is filled with shops and restaurants. Expect more starring than in other areas.
WaltJake says:
thank you!
Posted on: Mar 25, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Beijing Far East Youth Hostel

The Chinese toilet is no match for the American turd and I am no match for the Chinese toilet
I, unlike most of you who are reading this now, did not read most of Lisha’s blogs. So if you are tired of hearing about the China toilet saga go ahead and skip this. For me it is a brand new adven…Beijing toilet. Especially if you stay in room 3802 at the Far East Youth Hostel. I learned these things…

Check Beijing Hotel Deals