Beijing Downtown Backpackers

No. 85, Beijing, China
Beijing Downtown Backpackers - Our room
Beijing Downtown Backpackers - The hutong in which the hostel is located
Beijing Downtown Backpackers - Beijing Downtown Backpackers
Beijing Downtown Backpackers - Beautifully situated in a restored Hútong mansion

Beijing Downtown Backpackers Rates and Deals

Beijing Downtown Backpackers Reviews

Biedjee Biedjee
Four years later I deduct two stars off my original review Oct 19, 2012
Four years ago I wrote a review about this place, which I ended with the words: "While I haven't been to any other hostels in Beijing I am pretty sure that it doesn't get much better than this!"

Since then I have been to other hostels in China, and I can tell you, it does get better than this. A whole lot better! At the end of my second trip around China I stayed at the Downtown Backpackers again and was surprised at how both the hostel and my opinion of it had changed.

It's a dark, shabby place, not particularly clean. Staff is downright unfriendly (but dutifully helpful) and their tours are not particularly good value. Windowless rooms, thorn sheets, towels at a premium (even in the private rooms) and Wi-Fi only available on the ground floor.

The location is still unbeatable though, situated in a lively historic Hútong in the Dong Cheng area, walking distance from the Forbidden City, the Bell and Drum towers and Wah Fu Jing street.

Other facilities include laundry service, bike rental, luggage storage, English newspapers and books and there is also a bar and an Internet café.

The hostel also organises tours around the city and adventure hiking tours to the Great Wall. The latter is great, but beware that the hostel tries to save money every which way they can, so transportation is forced to bypass the toll-roads, adding 3-5 hours to your total travel time. Travel time which could be prevented for only $1 per person...

After our disappointment with what this place has become we tried to move to a different hostel, but found nearby hostels charging double the price of Downtown Backpackers, so I guess it is still one of the best budget options around.
Beautifully situated in a restored…
Our room
Beijing Downtown Backpackers
The hutong in which the hostel is …
sidewinder1985 sidewind…
Beijing Downtown Backpackers Feb 14, 2012
The Beijing Downtown Backpacker's Hostel is located in a hutong (traditional alley) in the heart of Beijing. They have a good range of rooms (privates, 4 bed dorms, 6 bed dorms etc). All rooms have attached bathrooms. The rooms were clean and reasonably sized. Breakfast is included in the price.

I found the staff to be very friendly and fluent in english. They helped us with our train tickets (small commission is charged) and an excursion to the Great Wall.

Other amenities include - book exchange, wi-fi, free hot water (for tea or coffee. All bathrooms have water heaters) and some really cheap priced beer.

The bus and metro station is nearby. You can also walk to the Forbidden City and Tienanmen Square but it will take 30 min. Plenty of cheap eats in the vicinity.

Strongly recommended.
dutch_duke dutch_du…
Great Hostel in Beijing! Dec 04, 2008
Hi There all,

We, my wife an me, stayed for 8 night's in total in Beijing.

Both times in this hostel.

We travelled aground in a big part of China but with neck and shoulders this one is the best one.

The contact we had (still overseas) was very nice.

The staff is more than friendly.

Everyone (nearly) speaks good English, you'll never have a problem with making things clear.

PC-room (internet use for free) and everywhere WIFI. (for the laptop freaks)

Pool room (not a great pool table) but still :)

TV-room with a wall with films you can watch. (free)

Cheap drinks (cheaper than in the supermarket)

FANTASTIC atmosphere. Young, old, married, backpacker, travelling, holiday. Doesn't matter you feel welcome when you step inside.

Warm inside, warm rooms and good showers.

Next door a very nice cafe-resaurant who has GREAT coffee. And where you get the included breakfast from the hostel.

Last very nice plus point is the location. It's in a Hutong, the old(er) part of town. And you have the feeling your in a small town or village. you don't have the feeling your in a mayer city like Beijing.

It's a small trendy street. A street that is like well let's say it has all the capability's to become a Soho (like in New York) in 5 years time.

Oke so far the hostel. Before you think i write this because you think I get paid to do it NO. I am just very fond of this place and would like to recommend it to everyone.

If you don't like it. Fine, take a look at their site or ask me if you want to.

Their site:

sidewinder1985 says:
Going there in a couple of weeks. Good to know.
Posted on: Sep 01, 2011
RJ82 says:
will definitely book this hostel. thanks!
Posted on: Jan 27, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About Beijing Downtown Backpackers

Day 27: Erlian - Beijing
We woke up to a complete change of scenery. Gone was the Mongolian desert, it was replaced by a very green, very mountainous and above all very foggy China. The dense fog, or smog as we wou…Beijing Downtown Backpackers was situated in a historic Hútong (traditional Beijing alleyway). The hostel was another gem. Like…
Of Great Walls and Not So Crispy Ducks
Ni hao, I'm once again backfilling entries because I've fallen further and further behind in this journal. Today is actually June 15, and I've been in China exactly 1 week. I spent the 8 -…Beijing, staying at Peking Downtown Backpackers Hostel in a hutong  alley called  Nanluogu Xiang . Hutong refer to the narrow…

Check Beijing Downtown Backpackers Rates and Deals