Beaware of pickpockets in Athens

Athens, Greece

Beaware of pickpockets in Athens Reviews

portia portia
Beaware of pickpockets in Athens metro Sep 04, 2008
It would have been better if I was writing this as a general advice instead of from personal experience, normally personal experience is best! Well, I am sure this happens in all big cities, all busy metros, all the time. But just put this on your check list when you are in Athens, if you take the metro, avoid the crowded cars, and always keep an eye and hand on your wallet. The picketpockets I ran into worked in a gang of three young men, they stood close together, and in a crowded metro car, not going further in to have more room. One of them had a backpack in front of him, better to conceal his hands I realized later. I should have kept a hand on my fanny pack in front of me. Anyway, I realized my pack's zipper was open and noticed my wallet was missing! I told the guy who was obviously the one to give it back and he pretended not to be the thief, but dropped my wallet. Without the cash, but I was lucky to still have the wallet with the ATM, credit cards and ID's inside. Let this be a lesson so you don't get victimized!
Monalisa4u says:
I've read this about Athens on so many websites. Will be sure to keep a close eye on my belongings and will be very leery of those offering to help, especially if the help wasn't solicited. Thanks for sharing your experiences and my apologies that it happened to you guys.
Posted on: Jun 08, 2013
abujihad says:
I too had the first hand experience, Athens, metro, rush hours, strangers offering help etc. result, I got off the metro thanking the 'gentlemen' who offered help but not knowing that they had snatched my wallet with all credit / ATM crads and handsome amount of cash. It was a hassel to get the cards cancelled and I hope they can use the cash for some useful purpose.
Posted on: Sep 26, 2009
portia says:
thanks, these things happen...
Posted on: Sep 05, 2008