Beautiful People of Burma

Beautiful People of Burma - getting giggly over having their photo taken

Beautiful People of Burma Yangon Reviews

lunardragon lunardra…
Aug 10, 2007
I had filled my backpack in Abu Dhabi with stickers, stamps, colouring pens, crayons, magazines, colouring books, ABC's & 123's to give to kids in Burma. Sarah is a school teacher and is planning on starting a school or home is India to take care of kids. And 2 days ago we spotted a notice posted on the wall at the cyber café about an orphanage/school looking for donations. Kopwint helped us direct the taxi driver to this poor side of town. The teachers were over the moon with the donations and the kids, well they were just kids, playful, happy, & full of energy, although many kids were at home with malaria. The centre was set up by a Dane, and currently had an American girl taking 10 weeks during her University break to give time, money and energy to these poor yet very cool kids. As well as 2 young local girls who are volunteering their time and energy for the kids. It was so much fun spending half the day with the teachers and kids. It also served a purpose for Sarah too, as she decided to volunteer some of her time there after she did another vipassana sitting (crazy girl). This is the first time ive done something like this, and wont be the last as it was a moving experience, as were many things during this trip for me.

Sarah & I stayed at the Haven guest house, $15US/night. Very clean and tidy with a great big breakfast of fruit (banana, mango, papaya), toast, pancakes, tea & coffee. The service was exceptionally friendly….although wake up calls are not so good… I missed my morning plane out of Burma. At the front desk are 2 guys and one has good English the other not so good, and when I got home the night before I spoke with the not so good, saying I fly out tomorrow, I need wake up call and taxi at these times. He responded with many nods and OKs, so I thought all was good. There was a reason I wasn't suppose to catch that plane. I was meeting my parents in Bangkok at about midday, but they know me well enough to assume that I had missed my plane. I think it was my 6th plane. Burma was plotting me not to leave, she enjoyed me being there and to honest I could have stayed longer easily. Days before hand I spoken with a few different people whether there was a departure tax, everyone had advised No! So I had planned to donate all my remaining money I didn't spend before I left (just to highlight, you have to take all your cash with you as there are no cash facilities at all), but I kept $20US just in case. Im at the airport later that afternoon catching the last flight from Burma, standing at the check in queue and a guy in front of me had been declined being checked in, because he didn't have any US dollars. I walked up to the counter after he walked away, found out they only accept US dollars and the departure tax was $10. So I went looking for this guy and gave him my last $10 so he could catch his plane out of Burma. He was from Korea (Mr Venture) & had Korean currency 10,000 Korea note worth approx $20US, but the airport only accepts US dollar and not even their own Khat, and the airport has no currency exchange office. Mr Venture was very happy and grateful and has offered me a place to stay. Mr Venture is a teacher & student of Theology and made me an offer to work in Korea earning approx $140,000 US tax free & 3 months holidays per annum as an English teacher. Ive since sent him an email to find out more.

The rest of my holidays were spent in a little more luxury in Thailand, at the Royal Princess, spending time with my parents, visiting Khao San Rd, the Grand Palace, the markets, and shopping since things are cheap and so many sales going on. I missed my 7th plane, as Thailand didnt want me to leave either, no complaints from me.
Yangon school
Yangon school
different faces of Burma
Happy man selling banana trunk for…
jonesey765 says:
Hey! I'm going to Burma next month and was hoping to donate some school supplies...where abouts was the orphanage? Or were there any others you saw in Rangoon?
Posted on: Mar 25, 2012