Beatles museum

Liverpool, England

Beatles museum Liverpool Reviews

hanleyscot hanleysc…
'The Beatles Will Exist Without Us' Oct 13, 2016
"The Beatles will exist without us," the late George Harrison once said regarding his band that formed nearly 60 years ago. A band that broke up nearly 50 years ago. In a mere ten years, this band created some of the most timeless and beautifully crafted music ever to exist. Music that we are still listening to even to this very day. Its combination of passion, artistry, and relevance continuously evolved into music that has influenced virtually every other artist to come after them. Simply stated: their music will outlive us all.

At this point I probably don't even need to include a disclaimer about how much I love The Beatles. So...umm...yeah, this review might be a tad bit biased. But there it is anyway.

Despite having been told by locals that visiting The Beatles Museum was not necessary, I decided to check it out anyway. I think that advice might actually have been fairly solid if you are a die hard Beatles fanatic. Or reside in Liverpool and are old enough to even remember who they are. Though their music can metaphorically send me to otherworldly places, I've never been what I would call a die hard fan. Truth be told, I'm actually much more of a Stones fan. I had been advised that anyone who was a devout Beatles fan would probably not find much of interest at the museum since what was there was mostly common knowledge for any true Beatles fans. Fair enough. I don't fit in that category, so I went. And I'm really glad I did.

I'm guessing that most people would probably be in and out in about an hour. I spent several hours there. It starts off fairly slow with their childhood years and where they grew up and how they met. Newspaper clippings and items they once touched were present behind their glass containers as I walked along listening to the recording through my headphones I received at the front desk.

It starts to pick up as you get to the next room which covers their formative Hamburg years. Soon thereafter you're walking down a hallway made to look like Mathew Street, complete with a building facade replica of The Grape and then eventually into a room replica of The Cavern Club all while Beatles tunes set the tone.

Subsequent displays cover various stages of the band's short life span and prominently includes an actual yellow submarine to walk through and the piano that John Lennon wrote "Imagine" with. Here's a fun fact: The piano was sold at an auction to George Michael of Wham! whose very intention was to keep it on display at The Liverpool Museum. Michaels had reportedly outbid other musicians such as Noel and Liam Gallagher of Oasis and Robbie Williams.

Just before the piano at the end there were separate displays for John, Paul, George, and, Ringo. Each outlined their accomplishments and awards and had various memorabilia from the artist. For John Lennon, the floor was a replica of the sidewalk outside of The Dakota in New York City where he was shot. I'm not going to lie...I got a little misty eyed.

I try not to spend too much time learning about the private lives of celebrities. Although I realize that fame comes with a price and that price is the loss of anonymity, I still don't believe that it's right. I do know a bit more about John Lennon than the average celebrity. And I am aware of the bad as much as the good. I know that he wasn't always the man that I think he eventually became. And the person he seemed to have become before he died, was someone that I could truly respect.

Probably a little weird but I think it was just one of those moments in life where you sit back and think about your life and who you want to be and how you want to conduct yourself as a human being. This was one of those moments. I think it was a life defining moment for me. I have not been the same since. Hopefully I've changed for the better. I guess only time will tell.

Chances are The Beatles Museum will not have the profound effect on you that it did to me. But I still recommend it. I think the price was somewhere between $15 - $20 USD which seemed a bit pricey compared to other museums I had visited in Europe. I didn't mind it, though. It was totally worth it.

Edit: Forgot to mention that there is a cafe that serves sandwiches and such in case you get hungry. There is also (unsurprisingly) a gift shop in which you can purchase virtually anything Beatles related.
hanleyscot says:
Bill - I am not ashamed to admit that I love The Monkees. Mickey Dolenz has an amazing voice. Randy Scouse Git, Last Train to Clarksville, and Pleasant Valley Sunday are outstanding songs.
Posted on: Oct 17, 2016
Zagnut66 says:
It's a shame the Monkees don't have a museum.
Posted on: Oct 16, 2016
hanleyscot says:
Em - Thank you very much...glad you enjoyed it!

Brian - I have heard about Ron Howard film. Hopefully some day I will get to see it. It's hard not to be captivated by The Beatles. They have lived incredible lives. The music...well, the music speaks for itself!

Jutta - Thank you so much! Every once in a while I sneak another review in here! haha!

Sima - Thank you very much...I appreciate it!

Vance - I was a bit of a late bloomer to them, as well. I mean, I always liked them even as a kid but it wasn't until after high school that I began to grasp how much of an impact they actually made. They are truly deserving of all the accolades that have been bestowed upon them.

Paul - Thank you! I agree...it was completely worth it. No regrets!

Melanie - Thank you...I really enjoyed it. I thought it was very well done. It's definitely worth a look if you find yourself back in Liverpool and have the time to spare.
Posted on: Oct 13, 2016

Related Travel Blogs About Beatles museum

Albert Dock
The Albert Dock area is great base for your Liverpool stay. It has a beautiful view of th Mersey, and is only a short walk to the city center. There are many reasons to spend an afternoon here: …Liverpool, Beatles Museum- a tribute to the famous rock group, Tate Gallery, Maritime Museum, etc. From this point you can go on boat…
Appreciating the Beatles
Today I again went out with a group, with the main goal of going to Liverpool. However, since they had not been to Stratford-upon-Avon at all, it was on the way to Liverpool, and I had seen it earlie…Liverpool and were there fairly shortly. We walked across town from the station to waterfront where the Beatles Store museum
Liverpool, one of my new favourite places.
When my uncle told me my brother and he were going to Liverpool, I was a bit jelous and asked him if I could come with. Of course I could, he said. And I don't regret coming with them. Liverpool was…Liverpool without visiting the Beatles museum. At least that's what our uncle told us. Me and my brother weren…

Check Liverpool Hotel Deals