638 Bergen Street, Brooklyn, NY, USA - 718 399 6855

Beast Brooklyn Reviews

callmechia callmech…
Beastly deals in Prospect Park Mar 18, 2008
We were craving a drink and a nosh on St. Patrick's Day. So, from an offhand referral through a friend (and Prospect Park local), we decided to try Beast. We headed there originally because of the catchy name, but the outside decor lured us in, the staff was super-friendly, and we never looked back.

A cozy, eccentric little watering hole-slash-eatery-slash-tapas bar, Beast is kitchy yet tasteful; deliciously nouveau-Brooklyn. I loved it.

The entire "kitchen" (tiny and probably smaller than the one you have at home) is set smack in the middle of the dining room; you can see exactly what's going on and exactly who's cooking, at all times. It was quite unlike anything I'd ever seen before, and it really added to the communal, homey, anti-yuppie feel of the place. I imagine on extremely slow nights it's kind of like being at your friend's house during a laid-back dinner party. And I don't know about you, but that's an experience I'd like to have again and again.

The brews on tap are another of Beast's points of interest: Grimbergen, Weihenstephan, Krusovice, and "Peak Organic" Pale ale aren't beers you see at your everyday bar.

Refreshingly moderate in price, the limited menu consists of smaller, cheaper appetizers and considerably larger appetizers (big enough to be entrees anywhere else). Furthermore, we didn't see a single item over $20, which is "kind of a big deal" for NYC, even in Brooklyn.

The "Big B's" burger was thick, moist and delicious. The exorbitant $2 fee for an addition of cheese is only there so that the management can discourage you from "detracting from the way the burger was meant to be"... oh and FYI, they're right, it's wonderful just the way it is, so don't ask for cheese!

The garlicky bleu cheese potato salad was equally tasty.

My warm grilled flatbread (thick, charred, and soft) with black bean hummus and chipotle aioli was delicious; at $5 I can't think of a better New York deal.

The whole environment at Beast is charming; there's an archaic video game in one corner while silent movies play on tv in the other; the management even throws a basketball game in for good measure (or political correctness, take your pick). Gargoyles, fairies, even a jackalope head adorn the walls and the music is "ambient"... a good mix of loungy background(and some classic) tracks which can only be described as I describe the entirety of Beast itself; that is to say, well... pretty cool.

It's a shame we didn't try their holiday-inspired corned beef and cabbage, as I'm sure it would've been great. Oh well, next time... and there WILL be a next time! Time Out NY voted Beast "Best New Restaurant" in Brooklyn, and for good reason... check it out if you happen to swing that way!

Check Brooklyn Hotel Deals