Beacon Bar and Grill

1615 Rhode Island Avenue, Washington, DC, USA

Beacon Bar and Grill Washington Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Roof top bar on a beautiful day-it's a MUST! Jun 17, 2010
In the heart of downtown DC, the Beacon hotel is attached to a Bar and Grill which has a roof top bar about 16 stories up. I have been twice and have had two different experiences and there have been two different crowds. The happy hour specials are different on the roof top bar than they are downstairs at the bar on the first floor. They have $1 shooters (a shot of the day) downstairs, but they are not available at the roof top bar.

The seating is nice, the view is pretty and there's a little water fountain upstairs. It's a good spot for happy hour. The Bar and Grill also has a brunch on Sundays (refer to the website for more details)-I haven't been yet, but I intend to go soon; I have not heard one bad review about brunch here as well as it being an affordable place.

My only gripe with the Beacon could occur at any place. I went in a group of 5 and we paid individually. The first person got her bill first before the rest of us even closed our tabs out. The waitress added 18% gratuity automatically. I thought that was strange because first and foremost, I didn't see that anywhere on the menu (they have to notify you in print of their policy), second, there were only 5 of us. I asked what their policy was and she said they added gratuity for groups of 4 of more. I KNEW that was wrong!

I didn't want to make a scene or embarrass her, so I went downstairs to ask the manager and he notified me that the policy was in effect for parties of 6 or more and showed it to me on the downstairs menu. I went back upstairs and we were getting ready to leave and I asked her for all the bills and for her not to add the 18& gratuity and she replied in a friendly manner that she would not and all was well.

I understand there might be more work involved in serving a larger party, but the service was not impecable. Plus-I don't really want anyone telling me how much to tip them. I know about the policy, but I am still trying to figure out the law behind this and who can do what in each state.

All-in-all, locals and visitors should stop here for happy hour or brunch and let me know what you think.

ADDENDUM: I have now eaten there for dinner and my meal was fantastic as was the German reisling I had, Dr. L. Recommended for dinner (check the website for specials, ie: June 2010, you can get 25% off your dinner entree)

Check Washington Hotel Deals