Bazilika Panny Marie Bolestné

  based on 1 review   write a review

Mariánské námestí, Krupka, Czech Republic
+420 417 861 363
Bazilika Panny Marie Bolestné - Pilgrim church
Bazilika Panny Marie Bolestné - Pilgrim church seen from higher up
Bazilika Panny Marie Bolestné - Pilgrim church
Bazilika Panny Marie Bolestné - Pilgrim church
Bazilika Panny Marie Bolestné - Gate to the convent buildings, now school

Bazilika Panny Marie Bolestné Krupka Reviews

german_eagle german_e…
260 reviews
visiting the pilgrim church Oct 08, 2016
The outstanding sight that draws visitors to the town is the pilgrim church, the "Basilica of Our Lady of Sorrows." A first wooden chapel with the miraculous figure of the Lady of Sorrows was replaced by a larger chapel of stone in 1443. The first pilgrimage took place in 1610, about ten years later the Jesuits started building an even larger church, which was reconstructed in Baroque style by Giulio and Octavio Broggio from nearby Litomerice.

The basilica's churchyard is enclosed by a cloister with seven chapels, built 1584 - 1590, symbolising the Seven Sorrows of Our Lady. There are 37 beautiful frescoes in the cloister, depicting the history of the place of pilgrimage. There is another chapel on the churchyard, encasing a spring with the healing water.

The basilica itself is magnificent: Above the portal is an enlarged copy of the miraculous figure of the Lady of Sorrows, to both sides of the portal are statues of the Jesuit Saints Ignatius of Loyola and Franz Xaver. On the southern side of the church are statues of the Czech patrons, on the northern side statues of other Saints. Inside you find one nave with each three chapels on the sides, the walls are white so the church is bright and airy. The main altar is a stunning copy of Bernini's main altar of St. Peter in Rome, a work of Franz Dollinger from Tyrol from the years 1704 - 14. He also created the richly decorated pulpit (1719).

Pic 2 shows the entrance to the area of the former Jesuit school that belonged to the pilgrim church, built in 1853. Nowadays it is a regular High School, run by the diocese Litomerice.

The basilica and the churchyard with the cloister and chapels are accessible only with guided tours: Tue/Wed/Fri/Sat 9 - 15.30 h, Sun 12 - 15 h. If the portal to the churchyard is closed at these times, ask at the vicarage vis-a-vis (house No. 113). A donation of 50 Kc / 2 Euro is expected.

The district Bohosudov is nowadays the centre of the town Krupka (not the old town!), buses stop at MeU (Mestsky Urad = Town administration) or Komenskeho street.
Pilgrim church
Gate to the convent buildings, now…
Pilgrim church
Pilgrim church
Link
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!

Compare Teplice Hotel Rates (5.9km away)

Check-in:
Check-out:
Guests:
Rooms:
Krupka Map
1 review
1 review
1 review - $75
Krupka
photo by: german_eagle