Bayon

Angkor Thom, Siem Reap, Cambodia

Bayon Siem Reap Reviews

joehobo joehobo
The Temple of faces..... Mar 12, 2013
Using the 60 Usd pass for the week I had visited the temple seat of the leper king and the Elephant Terrace that afternoon and still having time I headed southwards from the Elephant terrace through a fortified entrance towards the Angkor Thom. Bayon Iwas told meant Magic in Khmer and at first sight though it looked like just another temple built on an elevated pedestal with a long straight stone path with a parapet wall having the usual seven headed snake held by the demons on one side and by the Devas or Gods on the other magicaly with each step I walked getting closer towards the temple the whole perspective of the architecture was so astounding that I got lost in my own imagination, imagining the engineers, architects,masons, sculptors and workers bringing to life this glorious temple of faces.

There were many high towers and all of them had countless sculpted faces looking towards all directions and at least four of it looking at you wherever you may be standing.

Sculpted pillars led you through corridors to the tallest central tower below which you can see a statue of Buddha which had replaced that of a Siva Linga or Brahma at some point of time.

Many of the towers are inaccessible due to restoration or you may say preservation work being carried out by the Japanese Government under the supervision of the UNESCO.

This temple with many faces facing all directions I was told may be that of God looking at you or may be that of the King.Whatever one says or hears about this temple is about the past which is for us to comprehend from our own understanding and this feeling I think gives a traveler like me the satisfaction of having visited a truly glorious place of a great era.
The Fortified entance leading towa…
The snake, Devas and Demons