Bayersturm

Turmstrasse, Lohr Am Main, Germany

Bayersturm Lohr Am Main Reviews

Kurisu Kurisu
Very old watchtower with nice view! Jun 02, 2009
The Bayersturm in Lohr am Main, Bavaria, Germany, is an old watchtower which was built in 14th century and is the only tower of the old city wall that survived until today.

It was mainly used to warn people in case of fire. They also watched out for potential invaders. Keep in mind - we're talking Middle Ages here! ;-)

The tower is 140m tall, and you climb up the 147 steps to the tower keeper's domicil.

After being dilapidated for years, the stairs were renovated in 1979, so it's safe and comfortable to climb up there again.

Well, it's not a very big or spacious tower, so except for the three tiny rooms of the tower keeper and some bigger event room with some old furniture, you don't see anything special in there. It's not like a museum.

But if you look out of the windows up there, you get the most wonderful view of the city in any direction!

They don't charge for admission, but they are grateful for a small donation.

So if you happen to visit my beautiful hometown Lohr, don't forget to climb up those stairs! :-)
Bayersturm from outside
Bayersturm, surrounded by nice old…
Entrance - Watch your head!
Stairway to heaven? Well, not exac…

Related Travel Blogs About Bayersturm

View from the Bayersturm
As the weather was so nice today, I decided to go downtown for a walk to try out my new camera, a Canon IXUS870IS (SD880IS in some countries). When I walked through downtown's pedestrian area, I noti… As the weather was so nice today, I decided to go downtown for a walk to try out my new…

Check Lohr Am Main Hotel Deals