Batu Karang Lembongan Resort and Day Spa

Check Nusa Lembongan Hotel Deals

Batu Karang Lembongan Resort and Day Spa Nusa Lembongan Reviews

gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Beautiful view from a good room - but room for improvements Sep 14, 2015
We stayed at Batu Karang for three nights in September 2015. Originally we wanted to stay at just one hotel in Lembongan but as hotels filled up we ended up splitting the stay between Lembongan Beach Club Resort & Spa and Batu Karang.

I think we got off on the wrong foot with this hotel. I got an e-mail from them asking if I needed a pick up when arriving to Lembongan. We had already arrived on the island but I replied “yes please, come and pick us up at Lembongan Beach Club Resort & Spa at 1 PM” and they replied that that was not possible but they could send a car to pick us up and it would cost 10 USD (140.000 Rupiah). The question is a bit strange to start with as the boat transfer company included drop off at the hotel. So I declined this offer and Lembongan Beach Club Resort & Spa drove us to the new hotel. I have to add that this is a small island and Lembongan Beach Club Resort & Spa is located just a few hundred meters down the road from the harbor.

Batu Karang is located on the southern end of the main beach on Lembongan and in steep terrain. We were dropped off at the top but there was no sign for the reception but we were eventually picked up by a golf buggy that took us to the reception at the lower end of the complex. Check in was fast and we got room number 9 and were driven back up again to the villa.

The villas here are located in the steep hill and hence you get a great view of the ocean and beach below. The villa was impressive upon entering the room – the floor was in light tiles and there was a large kingsize bed in the middle of the room with a great view to the ocean. Behind the bed we found a desk and a chair and there was a wardrobe (with an ironing board and an iron that was not that great). The small safety deposit box created some problems initially but they were able to reset it. While the room had a great view during day it was a bit too dark at night – there was e.g. no proper reading light.

In front of the bed there were large sliding doors that led out to a balcony with a couple of chairs, table and a sofa. With the surrounding plants and trees there was more or less total privacy on the balcony. The balcony also led the outdoor bathroom that featured a bathtub and a shower. Again this looked pretty great. But there were some details that were missing – we had e.g. not gotten any towels for the bathroom so I had to call to get that delivered to the room. We also discovered that we got a foot bath when we took a shower – eventually I got a bit tired of it so I lifted the wooden deck and discovered that the drain was covered in various debris. Once this was cleared we did not have to get a foot bath when we showered. The small bathroom inside included some amenities – like shower cap and soap but not much more. It would have been great to e.g. have a glass for rinsing the mouth when brushing the teeth. My wife was not too impressed with the hairdryer as the nozzle kept on falling off. There was a small separate room for the toilet which is a good layout – we ran out of toilet paper one day and there were no extras stored in the toilet which is a bit odd – but we did get a new roll at turndown.

There were 4 standard size bottle of complimentary water included in the room each day. One day we finished them all and I asked if we could get more – this seems to be a pretty standard deal if you stay at a hotel where you can drink the tap water. I was told that this was not possible as it was only 4 bottles that was complimentary. I guess it is fair enough but it came across as a bit stingy when staying at a hotel room that cost about 240 USD per night.

The bed was comfortable and there was both a fan and air-con in the room – and a mosquito net so we were pretty much covered. There was a flat screen in the one corner of the room and it was pretty tiny. I know that you do not go to Lembongan to watch TV but it would have been better with a slightly larger TV. Wifi was included which was great – but on an island like this the internet is not very fast and I have an understanding for that. But what was very annoying was the fact that we had to log in every 5 minutes if you put down the device – it would have been much smoother if they came up with a login page that could remember the username and password.

Location of the hotel is great. From the reception area you can walk down to the main beach within 3-4 minutes and here you can find small shops, rent a motorcycle, get a snorkel trip organized etc. Just a couple of meters above the ocean the hotel have a bar/lounge called the Deck where you can enjoy drinks at sunset. As the hotel is located in steep terrain it was also possible to get a buggy service back to the room if we didn’t feel like walking.

Breakfast was also included in the room and this was a bit of a disaster the first day. It was served in the restaurant area by the reception and on the first day I came before my wife and I just asked if I could get a coffee to start with – it was never served. When my wife came we moved to a different table and we got the menus – there is no breakfast buffet here so you have to order from the menu. On the first day I wanted some toast, some eggs and some fruit and I was told that that was not possible. I’m not sure why but I think the waiter said that I could only pick two things from the menu. We ordered and after about 20 minutes another waiter came over and asked if we were ready to order – and we told him that we had already ordered. After a loooong wait the food was finally served but the waiters had not gotten around to giving us cutlery before the food was served – we asked for this but it seemed like the waiter still took his time taking orders from other tables instead of getting us the cutlery. And you would think that it was easy to serve us coffee while we were waiting for the food – well, we had to ask again for the third or fourth time to get the coffee and juice. It got a bit better the next days but it seemed like there was a lot of confusion regarding ordering food, coffee serving etc. We ended up not trying the Muntigs restaurant at the hotel as we figured that if they can’t even serve breakfast, how can they manage a dinner serving?

There is a pool by the reception and there are also two pools higher up in the resort. We used the family pool that was great and there was also a pool bar there. Above the family pool there is a 25 meter pool for swimming.

All in all we enjoyed our stay at Batu Karang. The villa has a great layout and it was a pleasure to wake up to see the view of the ocean. But as you have seen from my review there were also quite a few things that we were not happy with and some of it was quite annoying. I guess we had high expectations as the hotel is rated as one of the best hotels on the island but we were also influenced by the fact that we came from a hotel that we found to be very good. At Lembongan Beach Club Resort & Spa we found the service to be very friendly and personal and they had a great “we can fix that” attitude. At Batu Karang it felt like we felt that we got “no, that is not possible” as an answer instead. Conclusion is that Batu Karang is a good resort with a good location but there is room for lots of improvement.
The bed
Room in villa
TV
Desk

Batu Karang Lembongan Resort and Day Spa Overview

Located within tropical gardens, the Batu Karang Lembongan Resort and Day Spa is situated to provide guests with views of both the Bandung Strait and the Mount Agung. This accommodation in Bali is situated along Bandung Strait, providing ease access to the waterfront for guests who wish to enjoy water sports. Guests of the Batu Karang Lembongan Resort and Day Spa will be able to walk to the waterfront and will be able to make use of on-site bicycle rental. The Nusa Dua Airport is approximately one hour away from the hotel by boat ride.

Guests will find that the rooms at the Batu Karang Lembongan Resort and Day Spa include an array of amenities, such as air-conditioning, direct-dial telephones, satellite television, CD players, high-speed Internet access, in-room safes, coffeemakers, and private bathrooms. Guests can choose from suites or villa accommodations, all of which have 24-hour room service available.

The Batu Karang Lembongan Resort and Day Spa offers a selection of modern amenities, including a conference center, a laundry service, a restaurant, a bar, a fitness center, a swimming pool, a lap swimming pool, a currency exchange service, and a tour desk. Additionally, this boutique style hotel offers a full service health and beauty spa.

Batu Karang Lembongan Resort and Day Spa Amenities