Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Batu Caves Kuala Lumpur Reviews

Prasy Prasy
Breathtaking statues n long steps Nov 09, 2015
We (me n my friend) visited Batu caves this year. It was pretty good on the whole.

Transport: I used Metro train from KL. We chose not to hire taxi. I found it to be bit expensive on comparing to other regions in Malaysia.I took us 1 hr to reach the place from Bukit bintam.

Batu cave: the place hosts fee temples at top of the Batu caves. In the foothills u will find a gigantic statue of Lord Muruga(Tamil god). U need to take quite a long stretch to reach the top. It seemed liked the steps are never ending. Inside the cave u will find 3 temples at different levels. U need to climb some more steps to reach the main temple of Lord Muruga.

We can buy souvenirs near by the temple and also in the hill top.

Word of caution:

Be aware if Monkeys in the Batu caves. Pretty troublesome . It will steal ur belongings and food items. So be cautious.

I hope you enjoy your trip there..!
spocklogic says:
Monkeys seem born thieves all over! I've encountered them a few times in my travels - India, China and Tanzania.
Posted on: Jan 22, 2016
alenski28 alenski28
Mystical Batu Caves May 10, 2014
I was really mesmerized with Batu Caves and how they have preserved a natural and spiritual site located just outside the capital city. There are lots and lots of pigeons flying and eating on the ground. We played with them for awhile, hoping they will not poop as they fly above us. The giant golden statue of Lord Murugan, a Hindu deity and the God of War, with a height of 140ft (thanks, Wikipedia) was a reminder that the cave was sacred and should be treated with high respect as a Hindu shrine. Behind it was the uneven stairs going to the cave. I can see from afar that there are monkeys climbing on the trees and watching on the sides of the concrete balustrade.

Only my friend, Jo, and I went up to the cave, my family stayed and wandered on the gardens and temples while waiting for us. We were both wearing shorts and good thing we brought our shawls to cover our legs. There are ladies in the entrance where you can borrow or rent skirts in case you don’t have one. Just be respectful of their culture and cover yourself up. The Hindus in pilgrimage were praying as they climb up the stairs, some climbing on their knees. There was a man carrying his child, another group was carrying a man in a makeshift carriage, silently praying for divine miracle for their sick loved ones. Their devotion was humbling and inspiring.

Our effort to climb up was rewarded with the beautiful sight in front of us, and behind us, the cityline. The mass service was ongoing when we reached the top. Inside, there were more monkeys and they were freely running around the cave. I learned from another trip not to stare and feed them, and keep everything inside your bag as they might grab and run away with it. We walked discreetly inside in a distance so as not to disturb the pilgrims and the monkeys. The cave was such a beautiful nature’s wonder formed for hundreds of years! The high limestone walls and ceiling with random rock formations were covered with wild plants and the natural light coming from the openings made the interior mystical, magical and mysterious.

Going down was more challenging than I thought because of the uneven risers and I get dizzy whenever I look down. Yeah, I am still working on overcoming my fear of heights, and I won’t let it keep me from discovering great places like this. It took us twice the time going down and I made a mental note to myself to exercise some more, haha!

Batu Caves was the highlight of our trip. It definitely should be included on your list when you visit Malaysia. Since this is a tourist spot, expect that everything being sold is expensive. Better bring your own food and drinks. :-)
WalterC WalterC
Must visit even if out of the way Nov 22, 2014
Located about 20 minutes from the city center, Batu Caves is one of the most recognizable sights in Malaysia with its giant gold statue of Lord Murugan by the entrance. Built in 1891, the Batu Caves serve as a Hindu temple, dedicated to Murugan.

There are 272 steps to climb to the top and to the end, passing by some Hindu displays on the side. And going through a series of caves, made of limestone. The art is nice to look, and the huge gold statue is really awesome to look at, in person.

The steps are steep, so definitely be careful, and take it easy. Bottled water is a must, as it will definitely be very hot, and you need to stay hydrated. Also, a towel may be needed as well, for those who sweat a lot (like me).

As far as the dress code is concerned, short pants covering up to the knees is fine, as well as short-sleeve shirts, that covers the shoulders.

There are a bunch of monkeys usually hanging around the Caves, and you are discouraged from feeding them, as they can get quite aggressive. Luckily for me, I hardly saw any.

Getting there by train, you will have to take the Komuter line from KL Sentral, until you reach the Batu Caves stop. From the station, it is a very short walk to the entrance. And admission is free to enter the caves.

There are restaurants and shops near the entrance. One of the restaurant is a nice place to get something to eat or drink, and to relax a bit.

While it can be tough to go up and down the 272 steps to the end in the hot weather, and located outside the city center, the Batu Caves is a must see for any visitor to Kuala Lumpur.
statue of Hanuman
steps towards the caves
leading to Batu Caves
gold statue of Lord Murugan
monkeymia79 says:
Beautiful photos Walter. The statue of Lord Murugan is spectacular.
Posted on: Apr 17, 2016
holdmyhandsforever holdmyha…
Answered Prayer. Oct 22, 2014
Yes, I survived the 272 stairs in Batu Caves! What a fulfilling experience, isn't it?

Batu Caves is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The giant gold statue of Lord Murugan welcomes you to this mystical place where preserved spiritual and natural sites are located. Lord Murugan is a Hindu deity and is considered the God of War.

It was very timely when I visited Batu Caves since Malaysia was celebrating Deepavali that week. I have witnessed people carrying enormous structures while finishing the 272 stairs. Some of them were crying. It was an authentic experience witnessing how religious and dedicated these people.

Restaurants is all over the place where you can buy bottled water coz definitely, you'll be dehydrated once you successfully reached the Temple Cave.

Please dress accordingly to pay respect to the people around. No off-shoulders and short pants.

Batu Caves is few minutes away from KL Sentral through KTM. This is one of the fastest mode of transportations in Kuala Lumpur.

Before you leave Batu Caves, say a little prayer or make one wish. Few days after my trip, I've got a good news! It might happen to you as well. There's no harm in trying anyway.
mikeym mikeym
A Must-Do in KL Feb 03, 2014
A short 20 minute trip from Bintang I found myself in the midst of an Indian Festival at the Batu Caves. I was unaware of this but it really made for an authentic experience. The people dancing to the music really gives off an amazing vibe you truly do not want to miss. Dedicated holy men climb the 272 stairs while carrying an enormous structure adorned with religious articles. These men are covered with a variety of piercing all over their bodies. You can see the pain in their eyes but you know they are doing it in the name of their God(s). Once you make you're way up the stairs , through the masses, you feel a sense of accomplishment. They're are a number of religious sculptures and temples inside the caves. After making you're way down, you can select from an array of Indian food. I'm not very knowledgeable about the food so you will have to experience it for yourself.
nimic says:
Hope u had a good time in KL👌
Posted on: Feb 18, 2015
adrianaaaron adrianaa…
Batu Caves Jan 13, 2013
After so many years of wanting to visit Batu Caves, I finally made it this time - thanks to Corina, a friend of mine from Travbuddy - if it wasn't for her, I might not visit Batu Caves this year. I had made so many plans to visit this tourist attraction, but they were all cancelled because I had to work most of the time. I took a day off; it was worth it.

Getting here is easy. The destination is accessible by train. From KL Central, take the KTM to Batu Caves. The ticket from KL Central to Batu Caves will cost RM1 per person. However, the ticket from Batu Caves to KL Central will cost RM2 per person. Corina and I had to wait for about 15 minutes before we got into the train. The train is in good condition since it is still new. There were less people on the train as most people were still at work - We went to Batu Caves on Tuesday morning after all.

There is a small gate that leads us to our destination. As we walked out of it, there were some women selling bracelets and anklets. One of them was persuading me to buy one for RM20, but I finally bought one at just RM10. I didn't plan to buy anything, but I thought of making someone's day by buying something. Well, I did eventually. There are shops selling food and beverages. I recommend you to get a bottle of mineral water or energy drink before you go up the stairs that will lead you to the Temple Cave. There are 3 caves that make up Batu Caves; Temple cave, Art Gallery cave and Museum cave.

Beware of monkeys as they are everywhere. They will try to steal your belongings if they have the chance. I saw two individuals fighting over their belongings with the monkeys. A monkey tried to steal my camera as well as my ice-cream. There is a 50-foot tall "Hanuman" statue and a temple dedicated to Hanuman, the noble monkey devotee of Lord Rama. Walk up the 272-step stairway carefully. I hate it when the monkeys suddenly appeared right in front of me. I actually screamed and got stared by the other visitors; how embarrassing. The walk was so tiring and I can feel my thighs burning from the inside. Do not rush when going up the stairs. When going down the stairs, do it slowly as the steps are quite steep.

Likewise, do not feed the monkeys. They'll follow you if you do. Some can be quite aggressive when feeling threaten. Visiting the temple cave is free. Before reaching the peak of the stairs, you'll notice another exit on your left that will lead you to the "Dark cave". There is an entrance fee for this visit. If you have never been into a dark cave, you might as well make this as your first time. If you're not into this sort of adventure, the temple cave is a better option as it is bright and filled with tourists.

Overall, visiting Batu Caves was very enjoyable. It is more fun during Thaipusam, a religious event that gathers Hindus from different countries, such as from Malaysia, Singapore, India and India.
Hanuman statue (15m)
A huge statue next to the small ga…
KarinaB says:
Thanks for your review! I'm planning to go there tomorrow :)
;) sure bro
Posted on: Apr 07, 2013
croga_travels25 says:
i just learned something new. your story and pics here are very interesting, i like stuff like that. I will put this place on my list of places to visit!
Posted on: Mar 16, 2013
AussieOnline AussieOn…
Definately worthwhile, especially the Dark Caves Mar 16, 2013
The Batu Caves is one of the more well known tourist attractions in Kuala Lumpur and for good reason, what with its pretty scenery, interesting history and unique wildlife. The Caves are very easy to reach with trains departing from KL Sentral for a few Ringgits, with the stop easily labelled as the Batu Caves for any travellers weary of getting lost.

Once there, the approach from the train station doesn't look like much, if anything it looks like you are walking into an industrial estate. Suddenly, however, you turn a corner and there you have an amazing view of hundreds of steps ascending into a mountainside, flanked by the world's largest Golden Buddha statue. The mountainside is covered in tropical forest and there are monkeys playing in the trees, on the steps and having a lot of fun swinging on loose lamp posts.

Be warned though that this place can get very busy with many hundreds of people climbing up the steps to the Caves at the top and many street women around the base trying to sell tourists all manner of generic tourist merchandise. Also the monkeys can be vicious if they think they can get food out of it, so be sure not to give them any ideas about your food or drink by keeping them well hidden. There are some awesome photo oppurtunities and there are plenty of tourist around who will be willing to take photos of your entire party.

Once you climb the stairs, which is fairly exhausting (about 200 metres worth of stairs in the sun), you reach the caves which are a series of natural caverns with a number of Buddhist monuments and shrines placed in alcoves. There is also a small touristy shop selling souvenirs and cold drinks which are much appreciated. In the final cave there is a miniature temple in which tourists can pay a few Ringgitts and remove their shoes to pray with the monks, and an awesome view upwards of a natural opening in the roof of the cave.

After visiting the Caves, I would highly recommend visiting the Dark Caves also. The Dark Caves are situated just before the entrance to the main caverns and cost the equivalent of about 5 pounds to visit. It should also be noted that they have shorter opening times than the main cavern and they can only take a limited amount of people on the tour at a time. The tours however are very interesting, provided you have an interest in nature and conservation and you don't mind the dark or creepy crawlies. The tour lasts about half an hour and a guide leads a group of about 10 along a path through the caves. The Caves are pitch black so all members of ther group are given a torch. The guides are very knowledgeable and speak about the geology of the cave, they point out rare species of bat, cockroach, snake and centipede living in the cave, and they also talk about the conservation work that is in place to protect the cave. It is very interesting but once again, if you do not like cockroaches etc, this is probably not for you as they will be all around your feet in the dark. Also, be prepared to get dirty as my friend managed to get covered in bat droppings from above, although he was the only one in the group to get targeted.

Overall, the Caves are well worth visiting and will take about 3 hours to see and enjoy. The best time of day to visit is probably in the morning as it is a bit cooler and also the Dark Caves close around 4pm.
The lightest section of the Dark C…
The main cavern in the Batu Caves.
The miniature temple where you can…
A lot of stairs to climb!
KarinaB says:
Cheers! I'm off there tomorrow :)
Ceejay211 Ceejay211
Great day out Feb 23, 2013
Well worth a visit. The train is a bit slow but very efficient and once you are there going to the top of the stairs gives you an amazing view out onto KL and a beautiful look inside the caves at the murals and statues. The food at the restaurants there is also amazing and almost worth a trip out there on it's own. There are a few monkeys but not as many as i were lead to believe, or maybe I just came at a weird time. Either way, this trip was one of the best things I did in KL!
KarinaB says:
Thanks, I'm off there tomorrow :)
Chokk says:
Thanks for sharing ;)
Posted on: Mar 02, 2013
Glad you had fun!
Posted on: Feb 26, 2013
montecarlostar montecar…
Lord Murugan and some monkeys! Nov 05, 2012
Batu Caves were the first recommendation I had about KL and it was a perfect one. Not only it is free, but also a very important religious site for Hindu people.

The caves are the place where according to the legend, Lord Murugan lived as an infant, fed by monkeys, until he was able to survive on his own.

There is a train that takes you to Batu Caves from KL Sentral, but there is also a bus that you can take from Jalan Ipoh and it costs only 2 ringgit (nothing!).

It is very easy to spot the caves when you are arriving because of the giant statue of Lord Murugan at the entrance. There are also a lot of indian restaurants right there too, and a small pot for golden fish.

Getting inside the caves is a little tiring because you have to climb very high stairs, but it's nice because you are entertained by very cute baboon monkeys on the way up. I went there late so I didn't see that many of them.

Being inside the caves is truly a unique experience, you can see lots of Indian altars and listen to Indian mantras too. I actually went to the caves twice, and the second time it was during Deepavali, so there was some worshipping going on.

Most of all, the cost is free, so there is really no reason to miss a visit to this place if you are in KL. It is absolutely worth it.
Entrance to Batu Caves with Lord M…
Me with Lord Murugan
Moment of enlightenment
By one of the altars
montecarlostar says:
Muchas gracias Mónica!! Me dio gusto volver con un feature :) pero aún le falta mucho a mi blog!! Saludotes!!

Thank you so much Jutta! :D
Posted on: Dec 18, 2012
monky says:
Hola Carlos wow muchas felicidades en tu featured review!! saludotes :)
Posted on: Dec 17, 2012
montecarlostar says:
Hey thanks so much for the congrats!!! It's nice to be back in TB after some inactivity period... and thank you all for checking my blog and make it happen ;)
Posted on: Dec 17, 2012
j9_36 j9_36
Batu Caves and my first Indian Breakfast :) Feb 11, 2012
I went to Malaysia in May 2011. I was lucky that a friend introduced me to his tour guide friend. He picked me up in the Hotel and headed to Batu Caves. This is where some local indians pray and it is best to visit the place in the morning to avoid the crowd. Not to mention that you have to climb stairs in order to reach the temple. And be ready to be entertained by the monkeys along the way. After that, head to some restaurants to savor indian foods.. It was a great experience and to think it doesn´t hurt your pocket at all.
joehobo says:
I was there this Jan 2013 also.
Posted on: May 24, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed :)
Posted on: Feb 19, 2013
tour_guy tour_guy
Popular attraction of Kuala Lumpur - Batu Caves Mar 20, 2012
I visited Batu Caves on my one day stay at Kuala Lumpur and I did not regret as it was an interesting site to be experienced when traveling to Kuala Lumpur. The cave houses Hindu god Lord Murugan at the top of the limestone hill. The caves are amazing and climbing up the hill is more exciting than saying tiresome! This place is a getaway from the usual city life and experience the nature, culture and history.

Climbing up is challenging, and especially on a sunny day it will make you sweat! Do not forget to carry a bottle of water to keep you hydrated, and be prepared to climb about 270 steps with some steps being very steep.

Up on the top of the hill and inside the cave there are few smaller temples and idols depicting ancient Hindu history, in addition to the Lord Murugan shrine which is located on the top most level of the cave. To reach the top most level to the shrine, there is another up hill climb with about 50 steps! The temple and the surrounding is not that big and could be circled in about a minute or so, but the view surrounding the shrine will be quite amazing with huge rocks and trees.

On the bottom level near the cave entrance, there are many Indian and Malaysian restaurants offering inexpensive food. I ate in an Malaysian Indian style restaurant and I quite enjoyed Indian meals! There are also so many souvenirs, art, clothing and Indian sweet/snack shops nearby the caves.

The caves view from the courtyard is amazing with the huge golden color Lord Murugan statue in front, which make this site very popular.

Getting to Batu Caves is not that hard as there are direct KTM Komuter trains from KL Sentral to the Batu Cave station, that runs frequently at about every 30mins or so. The journey itself might take less than an hour or so depending traffic delays/signal. The train fare for one way adult is about RM2.00, which is very cheap when compared to paying more the taxi and getting stuck in the traffic during peak hours. From Batu Cave station, the temple premises is just a minute away by walk!

I would suggest to visit the caves in the morning or during the sunset, because a sunny afternoon time may not make the visit more enjoyable.
Lord Murugan statue at Batu Caves
KL Sentral - KTM Komter Line
KTM Komuter Line - Batu Caves Stat…
tour_guy says:
Thank you, Jonatz!
Posted on: Aug 04, 2012
jonatz says:
great tip!
Posted on: Aug 04, 2012
aaronw3 aaronw3
Caves, Temples and Monkeys Mar 02, 2012
We took bus 11 (1.2 RM) from China Town in KL to the Batu Caves, about 30 minutes through the city. I hear there is now a komuter train (2RM) that stops right next to the caves also. I liked taking the city buses, it lets me see the local neighbourhoods and meet more local people on the bus. When we arrived at the caves there were no touts trying to get us to buy anything from them and the taxi drivers just nodded at us as we walked past, which was a welcomed change from Thailand. Upon walking through the large arch and walking through the parking lot you see the 140 foot gold painted statue of Lord Muruga to the right of the 272 step staircase that brings you up to the main cave.

We walked around to the left towards the 50 ft tall statue of Hanuman and a temple dedicated to Hanuman, the noble monkey devotee and aide of Lord Rama. Inside this cave there were many colourful statues and models of scenes from Hindu history. The cave was nicely lit and there was more construction that led up a tall stair case that was unfinished at the back of the cave that looked interesting.

After grabbing a plate of Nasi Goreng and a couple bottles of water we started up the steps. The first thing you notice is the abundance of monkeys that bounce and climb around here. You definitely must take care not to get to close to them and hide your food when near them as they are not afraid to come and take it right out of you hands.

Once inside the caves you get a real sense of how big they are. With an opening to the sky at the back of the large cave, the lighting inside is great with rays coming into the cave at several times of the day. Inside the main cave there was a few small temple like structures that people were praying in front of. Definitely not as much to see as the one next store.

We spent a couple hours here exploring the area and taking photos of the ducks and birds in the pond and all over the building beside it. I would definitely recommend this as a half day excursion from the hustle and bustle of KL.
reikunboy reikunboy
Batu Caves Aug 15, 2012
The golden statue of Lord Merugan, a Hindu deity stands at the base of the 272 steps leading up to the Batu Caves. Long tailed macaque monkeys scavenge for food, scrambling over the steps to get at any small bananas or nuts that tourists hand out.

The limestone caves open up exposing an expansive cave,hosting several ornately carved Hindu shrines devoted to Lord Murugan depicting stories of his victory over the demon Soorapadan. As you wander deeper into the cave, sunlight breaks through holes in the ceiling the ray of lights beam down on the sacred temples, more monkeys scamper over the sacred shrines, while a few Hindus come and pray.

The caves are one of the most important Hindu religious sites outside of India. K Thombusing Pillai, an Indian trader promoted the caves for a place of prayer and since 1892, the Thaipusam festival has been celebrated here. This attracts up to 800,000 devotees and spectators. The highlight is seeing devotees in a trance carrying Kvadi, a metal frame attached to their bodies.

Batu caves are located 13 kilometres from Kuala Lumpur. The easiest way to get to the caves is by the KTM Kommuter train for 2RM. The caves are free an are open from 6am- 9pm.

The Batu Caves are well worth a visit on your trip to Kuala Lumpur.
Lord Muragan, the hindu deity
Chokk says:
I will put this one on my short list
Posted on: Mar 02, 2013
reikunboy says:
It's a great spot, CJ I've been to KL twice and went here both times. It's good that it's free too.
Posted on: Sep 29, 2012
ccjbeachbum says:
yes i enjoyed them also
Posted on: Sep 29, 2012
realrv6 realrv6
A great surprise. Jul 05, 2011
Batu Cave was one of my favorite places in Kuala Lumpur. Actually it’s located about 30 minutes outside the city, but it’s pretty easy to get there. I used a public bus.

Batu Caves is a fascinating Hindu cave temple which consists of three big caves. The temple is dedicated to Lord Murugan. A 43 meter (141ft) tall golden statue of him dominates the entrance to the caves. There are numerous statues of Lord Murugan everywhere.

This is the most important place for Malaysia’s Hindus and during an annual festival held in late January, about 1 million pilgrims visit the caves.

One of the highlights of a visit here is climbing the 272 steps leading up to the temple.

When I arrived there and started climbing, I found a wonderful surprise. The place was crowded with monkeys who literally assaulted us. Lol. The tourist kept feeding them with all kinds of food they had, like candies, Sprite, chips and even beer. It was funny that at the cave entrance on top of the 272 steps, it was written “Please do not feed the monkeys”. It was a little too late my friends. They already ate everything…
Isn't it sweet?
A drunk ass monkey...
ccjbeachbum ccjbeach…
batu caves Dec 12, 2011
i was told to go to the Batu caves in kuala lumpur .we had met on a Saturday night meet-up and Alvin and Jen suggested that a take a few hours to go see the caves.I'm so glad that i did. its real easy to get to .you just take the train to the Batu caves (cost was 2.00 ringgit each way) so a little over 1.00 us . ill let the pictures do the talking and i will say that its a very spiritual place.every April 100,000s of thousands come here . ill say I'm glad i listened to the locals
ccjbeachbum says:
pictures dont do it justice - happy holidays
Posted on: Dec 18, 2011
ambria says:
Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing :)
Posted on: Dec 12, 2011
hayley_phoon hayley_p…
Batu Caves Kuala Lumpur Jun 09, 2011
After being a Malaysia for 27years, and this is my first time stepping up to the Batu caves in kuala Lumpur. This temple is amazingly beautiful. After climbing up the stair to the top of the temple, you are able to see a beautiful view! Also

At the entrance, you're able to see a gigantic golden statue.

while you're on the way up to the temples, you're able to see a lots monkeys along the way and i'm feeding the monkeys "chipmore" guess what. they love it! hahaha

It's a must to visit Batu caves if you're coming to visit malaysia, it's worth it. Eventhough it's my first time there, and a french friend of mine bring me there "laugh out lloud" thanks Melissa! Tu me manque tellement!
Being indian for 1day :D
ahCarumba says:
Hi everyone. I have a few questions. Is it advisable to do this after 5pm? That is the only time that I will be able to do it - or very early morning before work? How long does this generally take?
Posted on: Jul 18, 2011
shaynw says:
I loved this place the steps almost killed me but when you get to the top it is totally worth it. Plus I loved playing with the monkeys everywhere & feeding them coconuts.
Posted on: Jul 14, 2011
fullybooked86 says:
We went to the Batu caves after the big hindu festival, dont go then as it was full of litter a smelt terrible. The public transport in KL is fantastic so it is easy to get there. The steps are a steep climb but it is a bit more scary coming back down, they do have a rail to hold onto. You don't need a guide as the caves are open and not far back. Good to see once but would not go again. After that tiring adventure we had the perfect accommodation in a hotel and the next day back to Perth.
Posted on: Jul 06, 2011
vanessadawn vanessad…
Easiest way to Batu Cave Jul 02, 2011
Batu Cave is one of the popular destinations in Malaysia. There are many travel agencies that offer tours to Batu Cave, however it is really not that difficult to do it on your own. There is a comfortable and cheaper way to see and experience this place, and its via train. With the traffic in KL, I think the train is the fastest way to go there taking only 20-30minutes of your time and costs only 1RINGGIT!

Here's how:

1. Go to KL SENTRAL. (I stayed at Bukit Bintang and I took a cab going to KL Sentral paying 7-10Ringgit. You may also take the KL Monorail going to KL Sentral which is alot cheaper.)

2. Once in KL Sentral, look for the KTM KOMUTER TRAIN and get a ticket to Batu Cave which is 1RM. (As I have mentioned earlier, it only takes 20-30mins to your destination)

3. The Batu Cave train station is the last station and it is located just beside the Batu Cave compound. It is very near and you can easily spot it.

**Before leaving Batu Cave, I saw that there were building some sort of Cable Car to Batu Cave for tourists, I am just not sure when it will be ready or if they have started it.
Platform 3 to Batu Cave
My 1RM ticket.
alanis alanis
Amazing Limestone Jun 11, 2011
This is a site that you must see if you visit Kuala Lumpur. The natural limestone formations of these caves are definitely worth the trip. They are so amazing and just breathtaking with the high ceilings, stalactites, vegetation on the side of part of the caves, and sunlight shining in through various ceiling openings.

The caves consist of two main parts - the Hindu temple and the dark cave. The hindu temple is free of charge, but the dark cave has a price attached to it. I cannot speak for the quality of the dark cave as I did not go on the tour. The 227 leading to the temple are fairly easy for the medium fit. Monkeys roam around in search of food, but they are not aggressive for the most part and will not attack. However, watch out for the coconut shells they throw from high ground from time to time.

I would recommend taking the blue train line to "Batu Caves" rather than go with a planned tour. It is ten times cheaper this way.
TommyTraveller TommyTra…
Batu Caves Jul 04, 2011
One of the highlights of my trip to Malaysia was taking in Batu Caves. Easy to get to from Kuala Lumpur (about 20 mins train journey from KL Sentral), it's definitely worth visiting. The huge caves are incredible, and they are now used as a place for Hindu religious ceremonies which the general public can view as passive bystanders. Make sure you buy some bananas from one of the street sellers around Batu Caves as feeding the monkeys that live in the surrounding hills is great fun! There's also photo opportunities with snakes at the mouth of the caves.
Nice review :)
Posted on: Feb 20, 2013
Great place
Posted on: Feb 19, 2013
sunnydude sunnydude
Limestone Wonder Jul 22, 2011
This is one of the major attractions if anyone travels around Malaysia, irrespective of religion and beliefs these caves make up for a worthwhile visit. The feel inside these caves are magnanimous and the views breathtaking.

Batu Caves is a limestone hill, which has a series of caves and cave temples located in Gombak district, Kuala Lampur. It is named after the river Sangai Batu or Batu River which flows past the hill. Batu is also the name of a nearby village. The formation of the caves is believed to be 400 million years old, which stretches for 2 kilometers. It has 3 main caves and many smaller ones. The biggest is usually referred as Cathedral Cave which has a ceiling of over 100 meters high.

Around the 1860’s these caves were used as a resource for ‘Guano’ which was used for fertilizing the vegetable crops by Chinese settlers at that time. It was only in 1891 when an Indian trader K.Thamboosamy Pillai promoted the caves as a place of worship for Hindus. The temple was designed as per Dravidian architecture and is dedicated to lord ‘Muruga’. At the foothills of the temple before ascending the 272 steps to the main cave stands the statue of Lord Muruga which is 140 feet tall, it is painted with 300 liters of gold paint brought in from Thailand and it costs around 24 million. It took 3 years in the making.

Batu Caves is one of the most popular Hindu shrines outside India, particularly to South Indians.
Displaying reviews 1 - 20 of 29