Bath, England

Bath Reviews

tessnz tessnz
Bath - great for walking and shopping Sep 27, 2011
I realy didn't know what to expect from Bath, as it was s spur-of-the-moment type opportunity to visit. Being a Jane Austen fan I was keen to go.

There are plenty of things to do and visit to occupy a day (or maybe two) there. We were lucky and it was a gorgeous day with blue skies, perfect for wandering about on foot. Luckily, my soucin knew about the park-n-ride, and from what I saw of the traffic (and pack of parking) I would strongly recommend using it.

We were happy to just wander around and not pay to go into anything, and just enjoyed looking around, so I can't report on Jane Austen museum or Pump rooms etc. The gardens are really lovely, and I enjoyed seeing the architecture. It was more of a bustling town than I expected, with plenty of shops (including up-market places) where you could easily spend up on specialty items.

We ate lunch at the Slug & Lettuce (classy pub), which was quite reasonably priced and looked a lot nicer than the name! Their bathrooms are spacious and lovely (well, the ladies is, don't know about the men's).
movie-star famous
mswim mswim
Mar 18, 2007
Words cannot express the beauty that is Bath, England. Each year there is a competition within the country to find the most beautiful town, Bath is no longer allowed to enter this competition as it always wins. As soon as I laid eyes on the town, I understood why.

Bath is home to the only natural hot springs in the entire United Kingdom. This is what drew the Roman’s here to create a spa. The Roman’s believed the spas were the cure all for many different diseases and afflictions. It is said that a sterile woman visited the Baths and miraculously became pregnant. The Roman’s built grand temples and spa complexes in the first century CE and were used for 400 years. Although today the baths are open to the public, you are no longer able to relax in the water because encephalitis has been discovered in the green water. If you are interested in experience a bath experience here in Bath, you can visit the nearby Thermae Bath Spa.

The Roman Bath’s museum is a beautiful and educational way to learn about the town. Once inside the bath’s you are given a phone-like device. At each point of interest that is a number that you punch into the phone, by doing this you are dialing into an information database that tells you about that particular object. I have to admit I skipped over some of these stations because if not I would have been there until Bath was conquered yet again. Some of the descriptions were dry while others included background noises and voice actors. The museum was built around the spa so some of the original structures are still partially in tact.

After the Roman’s left the town fell into a state of disrepair. Bath became very exclusive during the Elizabethan and Georgian times. During the Georgian times the city underwent a revamping and many of the buildings were constructed in the style of Georgian architecture. A perfect example of this would be Gay Street and the neighboring Royal Crescent. This is also the time when the Theatre Royal, The Circus, and Pultney Bridge were all built. Pultney Bridge is much like the Florence’s Ponte Vecchio. It is lined with shops and offers great views of the River Avon.

The Abbey Church of Saint Peter, Bath, or Bath Abbey as it is commonly known is another highlight in this picturesque town. Work started on this Gothic church in 1500. The original intentions were not for it to be nearly as large as it is today. It was intended to be a monastic church. I for one am glad that the architects scrapped the original plans and built the masterpiece that is now Bath Abbey. Inside the Abbey there are stunning examples of stained glass. The pews are all done in a rich dark wood and the fan-vaulted nave and ceilings add an ornate charm to this place of worship.

The Abbey also serves as a memorial to several notable people such as Isaac Pitman, William Bingham, James Montague, Beau Nash and Admiral Arthur Phillip.

Bath is a magnificent town full of photographic opportunities. If you find yourself in London, I suggest you take a side trip to this fantastic place.
Bath Abbey
Roman Baths
River Avalon
Pultney Bridge
funinuk funinuk
Aug 20, 2006
Bath is a beautiful city with absolute Shit roads!!!

Took about an hour to get in from the highway turnoff as the traffic was at a crawl!!

Fianally found a car park and only had to circle it once to get a park. ( that was cause there was a sign saying the park was full outside!!) probably to put people off!!

Walked through the streets and past a French market in the park, and past the tall buildings( reminded me of London) all looking the same and squashed together, with doors that go straight down to the street.

Found the inner town center and stopped in a tiny pub and had lunch (Bacon and Brie baguette & salad) the others had a huge fry up each - yummy. Had a lovely glass of Pinot Grigio also!!

Found the Roman Baths - Baths most popular tourist attraction - and only lined up for about 15 minutes, I think due to the time as it was near on 3pm by the time we went in.

Walked around and had a listening device (like the ones at Stonehenge) where you press for a commentary on things when you see corresponding numbers. The Baths were so lovely and didn't smell at all like people have said.

I would have loved to sit around the bath in the sun & just hang out but not enough time!! Learnt a bit about when they were made and Roman customs etc. Very spectacular with all the statues, columns, hidden pools and ruins.

After that we strolled down to the river Avon and the view was amazing. The Pulteny Bridge is beautiful with it's arches and old charm. The buildings along the river above the park are old and have columns which make the whole look very grand and hard to describe!!

Went on a 1hour boat cruise up the river which was relaxing but very boring. Saw people punting and a few stuck in trees and having all sorts of trouble. Saw and old church where some guy who took the first fleet of convicts to Australia is buried.

Strolled back to the carpark via the ice-cream shop and Royal Cresent.
Roman Baths
Bath Riverside
The Pulteny Bridge

Related Travel Blogs About Bath

When we got to the train station in Prague, we all exchanged some money for Hungarian currency, the forint. Half of the challenge with using a new currency is doing conversions in your head to actual…baths!”. I crawled out of bed, made some brunch, and got ready to go to the baths
Only at Kusatsu Onsen can the smell of rotten eggs be so divine!
Less than 3 hours after getting to my hotel room in Ikebukuro, I was out the door - again. This time, I was meeting up with 3 of my friends in Shinjuku for our onsen weekend trip to Gunma! I ch…bath areas and paid 350yen for the entrance fee. The baths are separated by gender. The changing room…
Romans Heart Baths
Today I went to the Roman ruins at Bath, formally called Bath Spa. Apparently some Roman emperor was asked why he bathed once a day, and he said it's only because there's no time to bathe twice a day…Bath, formally called Bath Spa. Apparently some Roman emperor was asked why he bathed once a day, and he said…

Check Bath Hotel Deals