Bass Lake

Bass Lake, California

Bass Lake Reviews

psalm686 psalm686
My Favorite Lake in California Jul 18, 2010
I feel more rested and refreshed after a week of camping than after any other type of vacation :) Camping is affordable and relaxing, and being out in nature and enjoying the rising and setting of the sun, swimming in the lake, and cooking by a campfire is magical to me!

Bass Lake is one of my very favorite places to camp - specifically at Spring Cove campground. The lake is fairly shallow so it heats up to a very refreshing and comfortable 85 degrees during the summer. And it is one of the few lakes in California that you're still allowed to swim in. The water is clean and very inviting.

The campsites at Spring Cove are very well-kept, as are the bathrooms, but there are no showers. I bring my own, or you can use the showers at the two Marinas just north and south of the campground... both are within a few miles.

There are many places to hike in the area, and I have found some great swimming holes created by snow run-off as it carves into the huge boulders on the side of the mountains. The 55 degree water can be very attractive in the hot summer weather :) Here's a link to a couple of my favorite hiking spots:

Yosemite is only 20 miles north of Bass Lake, so many of my camping visitors do make it a day-trip when camping with me, but I've done the Yosemite thing and hiking thing many times on my travels up there, so MY favorite thing to do is spend all day floating on the lake, swimming, and reading.

At the far north end, where the snow run-off feeds the lake, there is a large boulder you can climb up and slide down. The water is cold there, but it is a fun natural water slide and definitely worth a try or two :)

I'm not sure why, but this lake is never over crowded. You can rent all types of boats - motorized or not - at one of the two marinas, and waterskiers and jetskiers have a great time on the underpopulated water.

Campers are kind and outgoing people, and I've built some great and lasting friendships with those I've met at Bass Lake. :)

Related Travel Blogs About Bass Lake

Summit Adventure
I have entered a movement…experienced a new kind of living…a community of authenticity spurred on by real love from real people with real feelings not pretending to be perfect. The past 12 days…Bass Lake and out in the back country; everything from a chill timeline to pooping over a hole…
Near Shut Eye Peak - Overlooking Bass Lake
This was the best camp out ever because we had the area all to ourselves.  Just a small group of friends, good beer and a a gorgeous view.  I have no idea how we got here - it's amazing tha… This was the best camp out ever because we had the area all to ourselves.  Just a small group…
Off to Yosemite to see some big trees
Back into the bus and on the road again. Our direction today was towards Bass Lake and a big tree or two. Giant Sequoias to be exact, these 3000-year-old trees are the largest trees in the world. We…Bass Lake and a big tree or two. Giant Sequoias to be exact, these 3000-year-old trees…

Check Bass Lake Hotel Deals