Basecamp Hotel

Check South Lake Tahoe Hotel Deals

Basecamp Hotel South Lake Tahoe Reviews

hanleyscot hanleysc…
Hotel With a Hostel Vibe Nov 22, 2014
I think that I had probably checked out every single hotel/motel/rental property/park bench that was available online in the Lake Tahoe and Reno area. Seemed like everything was either really expensive and nice or really dirt cheap and extremely no frills.

In a rare moment of good judgment I did not book any hotels ahead of time for this trip. Once I was in Reno, I quickly decided to skip it and move directly on to Lake Tahoe. So luckily I did not have to stay in Reno with an existing reservation.

I had considered staying at one of the two hostels I found listed in Tahoe. There's one on the north end and one on the south end. Instead I went with Basecamp Hotel. It's actually a refurbished motel that appears more like a boutique hotel or an upscale hostel (if there is such a thing). And it just so happens to be almost next door to the Mellow Mountain Hostel.

While not considered a hostel, there are rooms containing bunk beds. There is also a communal area in the lobby with a small bar, a fireplace, a tv, and a large picnic table. It's the perfect way to start the day with a complimentary continental breakfast as you prepare your big day of hiking or hitting the slopes. Return early enough and there's a happy hour with some tasty brews available as you mingle with your fellow travelers.

The room I stayed in was immaculate and had more space than I really needed. It seemed surprisingly quiet considering how many people were staying there and that the hot tub was not more than about ten feet away from my room.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful with my beer selection and recommendations on places to eat. I had originally called to make the reservation and they quoted me a higher price than what was available on Travelocity.com so I just made my reservation online. I've read enough articles about hotel pricing and I know that you are supposed to ask them for a deal or possible upgrades but it feels like haggling to me. I'm the last person you want with you when it comes to getting a lower price on anything. I rarely use coupons or anything like that. Nothing against anyone who does…but it's just not me. Which is probably why I will never be rich. haha!

The price for two nights ended up being around $250. The price included free wifi, parking, and continental breakfast. Totally worth it. I would stay there again without thinking twice about it. The location is perfect. It's a minute walk to the casinos, the Heavenly gondolas, and plenty of restaurants and bars and other shopping.

***If you are looking for places to stay in Lake Tahoe.. read the fine print. Many of the nicer places charge for internet and parking. Those are personal pet peeves of mine. Seriously? Who charges for wifi? Hotels that suck. I can almost understand charging for parking in large cities where space is limited but I still hate it. Basecamp charges for neither because they rock!
monky says:
A belated congrats on your featured review Scot! well done :)
Posted on: Nov 30, 2014
Besandri says:
Congrats on the featured review... South Lake Tahoe is a great place and yes there are a lot of options for accommodation. I had one bad and one good, lucky the good one was for the longest part of my stay.
Posted on: Nov 29, 2014
cotton_foam says:
Congrats!!
Posted on: Nov 29, 2014
WildwoodCorgis Wildwood…
Oct 18, 2013
This is a lovely boutique hotel just inside the California border. The staff was very nice even when I checked in too early! It is an older hotel, just steps away from the casinos, that has been completely updated and modernized. My second floor room is large and comfortable and clean! The decorations are appropriate and from the sign out front to the toilet paper holder everything succeeds. A nice comfy bed is the best way to end a long long day!
Great room, comfy bed!
Nicely spruced up older hotel just…
Love the railroad spike coat rack
Fresh & clean, well appointed.

Basecamp Hotel Overview

This budget hotel offers value for money, and is just five minutes from Harrah's Lake Tahoe. Guests will be able to enjoy the seclusion and privacy of the hotel's private beach. South Lake Tahoe town centre is within an easy 10 minute drive from the hotel.

Washoe Meadows State Park, Lake Tahoe Visitor Center and Sierra Athletic Club are within driving distance of the Basecamp Hotel. Camp Richardson's Corral, Lake Tahoe Golf Course and Fallen Leaf Lake (California) can be reached with a 20 minute drive. South Tahoe Ice Arena and Heavenly Ski Resort are under 10 minutes away by car.

Basecamp Hotel Amenities