Base St Kilda Hostel Melbourne

Check Melbourne Hotel Deals

Base St Kilda Hostel Melbourne Reviews

jdig0304 jdig0304
Party Hostel near the beach Feb 06, 2012
If you are looking to get no sleep, drink every night, and be near St. Kilda Beach then this is the hostel for you. The private rooms are well equipped with a tv, private bathroom, and a great bed with plenty of space. The bar downstairs is always packed from happy hour on. The beach is about 600 meters down the street and there are plenty of trendy restaurants nearby as well as a McDonalds for those on a tight budget. The staff was friendly and willing to help. They have a travel desk to help you with your travel needs during the day. The kitchen is big enough for multiple people to cook and kept to a minimum standard of cleanliness as most hostels kitchens are.

The only problem I had with this hostel was the intercom system. Check out is at 10 but everyday somebody comes over the intercom system and wakes everybody up. I was there for one week and was disturbed from sleep everyday.

I would recommend this hostel if you are looking to party but not if you are looking for sleep.
dank123 dank123
Affordable trendy hostel. Feb 21, 2012
Great trendy hostel in st kilda - awesome location right next to the beach and about 10 minutes from the cbd! Bathrooms are clean. Great nightlife. Bar downstairs in the hostel which goes off every night and many of near by clubs and bars on acland st and fitzroy st. Great trendy cafe's nearby to eat at including galleon and rococo, rococo also serves a delicious lunch and dinner as is an italian style restaurant at night time and they make great pasta's and pizza although can be a bit costly if your on a tight budget average meal there is about $20. X base is a great place to stay at lots of young travellers from all aroudn the world so it's a great way to meet people.
Oyzteraqua Oyzteraq…
good hostel in melbourne near the beach in st kilda May 17, 2011
The staff at st kilda were very helpful and booked most of our adventure trips in nz (though they get commission :-) ) they were very helpful in providing all info. Located in st kilda, a very nice suburb in melb, with a great bar, good place to meet people and clean hostel.
bdavis10185 bdavis10…
Great hostel and great location Apr 20, 2011
you kinda know what you're getting with Base hostels; clean, safe and social. base in st kilda is in a great location right next to the local hotspots and a stones throw away from the beach. tram stops are pretty much opposite so easy to get, well, anywhere in melbourne
tichuk123 tichuk123
Base, St Kilda, Australia Jun 07, 2009
I arrived at the hostel late at night and to begin with was very impressed, it looked modern, clean and the guy on reception was very welcoming and helpful. As it was late at night there were very few other guests around but the couple I did come across greeted me with smiles, which is always nice when arriving at a new destination by yourself. I opted to stay in a private room for the first 2 nights as I had a long haul flight from London to Melbourne via Hong Kong just to recover from the jetlag before moving into a dorm. The first issue I had was opening the door on the landing; the hostel has swipe card access not only on the front door but in the lift, each floor and every private room and dorm – which I found to be very reassuring. After about 20 swipes at various angles the door finally opened, I then found my room but had the same issue again with the swipe card (just what you want after a 24 hour flight!).

My private room faced onto the main street. After going to bed I couldn’t believe how noisy it was outside on the street considering it was about 4am on a Monday morning, there was also a lot of noise within the hostel, it sounded like someone was having the same issue with the swipe card access on the landing that I had been having although they has resorted to kicking the door for about 10 minutes, The noise outside went on until about 6am. I found out the following morning it was a public holiday in Australia for the Queens birthday. The following morning on closer inspection of my room I was really impressed, it was very clean and had a nice en-suite bathroom and was very nicely decorated.

I had opted to spend the rest of my stay in a 4 bed dorm,again I was very impressed with how clean the dorm was. I found the under bed luggage locker really useful, I wish all hostels had these! My only concern was being on the 2nd floor and so close to the bar. I stayed in the 4 bed dorm for 10 nights, the dorm was cleaned daily – the only problem was the shower, it was just a curtain around a corner of the bathroom, the problem was the floor wasn’t at an angle so the bathroom just flooded, after sharing the dorm with 2 American girls (who spent most of the day in the shower) it kind of looked like a paddling pool and was really slippery - not a major problem I guess.

Generally I was happy with the Hostel the only problem is some of the people it seems to attract, the only way I can think of how to describe these people is “international bar hoppers”, the kind of people who spend all night getting drunk and then all day in bed being ill, which is fine if you don’t mind being kept awake by some drunken idiot all night. The hostel obviously makes a lot of money from the bar and therefore actively encourages people to drink a lot. I did visit the bar regularly and another thing I found annoying was how loud it was, there are people staying at Base from all over the world, many people who speak English as a second language – so having a conversation can be hard work with the loudness of the music. However one good thing I found about the bar was the food, on certain nights of the week they provide low cost food, I had really good pasta and on another evening had a curry – it was nice and very good value for money.

On a couple of occasions I decided to cook my own meal in the hostels kitchen, the kitchen was really dirty – the sinks where piled up with unwashed utensils and really was not very pleasant, the kitchen had signs asking guests to clean up after themselves, obviously this wasn’t happening.

To sum things up I was impressed with Base as a hostel, its very modern, secure, nicely decorated and the rooms are kept very clean, the only thing I wasn’t impressed with is how loud people staying there are, I know this is not the hostels fault but they encourage people to get drunk in the bar which leads to this kind of behaviour. It’s a good place to stay if your life evolves around alcohol but not so good if you are interested in experiencing Melbourne as a city, I went on a number of tours that left early in the morning but after being kept awake until 4am it was hard getting up.
amy amy
I heart Base Backpackers St. Kilda Dec 15, 2008
If I could marry a hostel, this is the One for me. It's loud and young and constantly a party in there. It's not the type of place you'd go if you wanted to be in bed by 9pm every night. Or even by 1am on any given night for that matter.

The only 'problem' I had with this hostel was that I perhaps spent a little too much time there than out-and-about. Oftentimes, I would get ready to go have a night on the town, only to spend the entire night downstairs at the bar making friends with other drifters.

The people working there at the time were FANTASTIC! Although, girls: watch out for the tall Irish guy - he's very flirty haha.

I've endlessly told my friends who will be heading to Melbourne in July that THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY! They may not listen to my pearls of wisdom ....but maybe a TB out there will. :P
phuncki_chic says:
I reckon I could handle a tall, flirty Irish guy!!
Posted on: Oct 13, 2009
shirlan says:
I/we have not stayed at this one but our daughter has stayed there a few times. She said it is great!
Posted on: Apr 21, 2009
krenu05 krenu05
Apr 27, 2007
This hostel was average to good. It's pretty new so everything was clean. It has a great location in St. Kilda. It's a block away from Acland Street, which has great cafes, bars, and famous cake shops. The beach is just 5 minutes away. Also, the tram station is close by and takes you right into the city. I would recommend not to get a room on the 1st floor as you can hear the music from the bar that is downstairs.

Base St Kilda Hostel Amenities

• Bicycle Rental
  • Excursions
  • Billiards
  • Desk
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower
  • En suite
  • Games Available
  • Luggage Storage
  • Self Laundry
  • Paid Parking

Related Travel Blogs About Base St Kilda Hostel Melbourne

"Prawns on the barbie ... the best in the southern hemisphere"
Thank you for the lovely comments and emails. It\'s great to read your comments and questions. One person asked me how the food is in Australia and about cooking in hostels. To start with the la…St Kilda. Nice hostel but not as good as Base. Base has a better location and the atmosphere is much better. What to do in Melbourne

Check Melbourne Hotel Deals