Base Auckland Hostel

Check Auckland Hotel Deals

Base Auckland Hostel Reviews

tessnz tessnz
Great location in central auckland Nov 19, 2011
Fantastic location right downtown, so close to nightlife and shops, eating places, and the transport centre (Britomart). The airport bus stops close by, also the departure point for nakedbus coach. Rooms are good value, clean and comfortable, and there's plenty of bathroom facilities. It might be right in the hub of activity, but rooms are quiet for good sleep. Downstairs is a great lounge and gathering place where you can meet people before heading out. security is also good. A bonus - a lift so you don't have to drag your bags up stairs!
gee26 gee26
A weekend Break/Short term Hostel. Not for single travellers. Nov 06, 2011
As central as your gonna get in Auckland, The airport bus stops you at the end of the street..all of 5 yards from the door.

This Hostel is huge!! It has the usual hostel bar in the basement. Also has a rooftop bar on the 6th floor which is quiet usually. On the 3rd floor the reception areas shares the huge space with 2 tv rooms (worst ive seen) and a job recruiment office as well as the travel desk for sorting out your trips. The kitchen is also on the 3rd floor and dispite its size it was often overcrowded and lacked proper equipment at times.

I was in a 6 bed door and found there was enough space for 6 folk and their bags. it also had its own fridge which was pretty handy.

Overal I thought it would be a good hostel for beginners or short term. It hs great facilities but due to the size those travelling alone might find it a bit daunting.

Give us a shout if you require any more info on base auckland.
sachy88 sachy88
Cheap, basic hostel accommodation Mar 23, 2011
I stayed at Base in Auckland for two nights earlier this year with a friend - we went up to see The National play an awesome gig.

The hostel was one of the cheapest which we could find in the central city, and it was in a great location - really close to a whole bunch of bars, restaurants and attractions.

The twin room was pretty good: moderately-sized, clean and air-conditioned. It also had a small fridge, which came in handy with the hot weather.

The only problem which we had was with the elevators: all three were out of service during our stay, meaning we had to scale several flights of stairs each time we came back in. They did say they were working on it, but it could have been made more of a priority.

Having said that, it was a safe, clean and cheap place to stay, and I can recommend it to anyone visiting Auckland.
starrynight1113 starryni…
Not My First Choice For Staying in Auckland Jan 05, 2011
Stayed at Base just for one night with my boyfriend. We booked a private room which was basically a stuffy, windowless, dark box. They boast having 500 beds at this location in the center of downtown Auckland and it is quite obvious they are trying to pack as many people in as possible. The bathrooms were not all that nice. There were lines at check in and check out and the overwhelmed staff were not all that pleasant. It was very centrally located but I preferred my stay at one of the other hostels a few blocks further from the center of the city; to me it was worth the walk.

All in all, it wasn't a great experience but I wouldn't write the place off entirely. If you were in Auckland looking for work (as many young people there on working holiday are) there did seem to be a buzz of an active networking scene. The hostel had postings about jobs and recommendations for job searches. It is right in the center of everything Auckland has to offer!
mrtraveler1 mrtravel…
The ACB hostel in Auckland May 23, 2011
The ACB Hostel in Auckland is not that bad of a place to stay. Its in a good location, you can walk or bus any where in the city and they have lots of info for things to do through out the country. The down side of the hostel is that their shower rooms are not that clean, breakfast is $6 and the internet is expensive to use there as well. It will be better off to go to the library near by to use their free internet.
carolyn3723 carolyn3…
Nov 26, 2008
So much better than the BASE in Sydney (thank God!) The Globe Bar was being renivated, but still had fun at the other one that had made on the patio. Nice, helpful staff. Clean room and good travel desk able to book naything and everything. Perfect downtown location. Had working elevators and large internet cafe. Stayed on the "girls" floor, which was nice too!
Icandoit Icandoit
Nov 18, 2006
This place is only good for staying if there's nothing else left. It's the biggest hostel in Auckland andtherefore it's atmosphere isnot what you would expect from a hostel. It's difficult to describe but picture yourself a little, homy, feelgood hostel. This is the opposite of it, it's a huge building and it's very crowded. The basics are fine: the staff is very friendly, there's 24h internet, you can buy food, there's a travelling agency, a big kitchen etc. But the rooms are really awful, there are no windows and it makes you really feel imprisoned. There's not much room left for your stuff so when I was there, the rooms where really full. I was wondering what would happen in case of an emergency.
amberh says:
I can't really disagree with the comment, though the hostel is certainly adequate, located downtown, and I found the travel agency very helpful.

My room had a window, and a very squeaky bunkbed.

A lot of internationals stay there while looking for jobs in NZ.
Posted on: Jan 08, 2007
fearlessflyer82 fearless…
Trendy hostel in Auckland Jan 21, 2004
I stayed here on a few different occasions at the beginning and the end of my trip to New Zealand and did not have a single bad experience. It is such a clean and welcoming place. This would be an excellent place to go to if you have not stayed in a hostel before-would ease you in gently to the way of life. However this hostel is far above the norm!

Good party place but also quiet if you need to get a kip. The bathroom area is nice and clean, magazines, hairdryers and shampoo provided. Feels like luxury after traveling around for so long!

Only bugbear is that they do squash the beds into the room, makes it difficult if you have a big pack to try and fit under your bed in the lockers. Although these are safe-Just a pain if you have to leave early and you are trying to do so without waking everyone up! Most of the staff were helpful and friendly-especially so in the travel centre. They do get very busy so book before you go and try and get to the travel centre early in the day otherwise you will have a long wait!

You are brilliantly positioned on the main street but it is not noisy.

Good, cheap food provided in the cafe area and there is a funky kitchen on the roof with a roof terrace. Good internet provisions (but its cheaper in the place across the street) and funky area to chill out.

We loved it here, its a big hostel but dont be put off by that its still a cool place to go. (Much better than the Base in Christchurch.)

Base Auckland Hostel Amenities

• Laundry service
  • Spa bath / Jacuzzi

Related Travel Blogs About Base Auckland Hostel

Kia Ora Aotearoa!
I think I was 15 years old when I saw on CNN travel an episode about New Zealand. The diversity of this country made a huge impression on me and I was determined to visit New Zealand. Well, here I am…Auckland, I stayed at Base hostel. I really had no idea what to do in Auckland. The first…
Welcome to the Fuck Bus, we hope your enjoy your many stays
I love layovers. Not really. But that's where this journal begins, so...I decided to leave the airport and spend the day in Hong Kong.. weird place, but I had an 8 hour layover and I like weird. I t…Auckland, booked into a cheap hostel.. (BASE backpackers - I highly recommend them, especially to women) and went to work…

Check Auckland Hotel Deals