Barrio Lastarria

Santiago, Chile

Barrio Lastarria Santiago Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Street photography in Barrio Lastarria Nov 14, 2016
If like us you enjoy a wander around an interesting neighbourhood just as much (if not more) as seeing the major sights of a city, the Barrio Lastarria is likely to appeal. It takes its name from the 19th century Chilean writer Jose Victorino Lastarria Santander. The district is roughly triangular in shape and lies between the Cerro Santa Lucia to the east and Plaza Baquedano to the west, with the Parque Forestal as its northern border and the Avenida del Libertador Bernardo O'Higgins to the south.

This is a great area in which to photograph street art, as I hope my photos show. The first two were taken near Universidad Católica metro station (behind the Gabriela Mistral cultural centre), while photo three was taken on Merced, on the northern fringes of the Barrio. Photo four is of a rather lovely building near the Museum of Visual Art, which we would have liked to have visited had it not been Monday when all museums in the city are unfortunately closed. And photo five was taken outside the Iglesia de la Vera Cruz on Calle Jose Victorino Lastarria. This is a striking red and white mid-19th century building and is listed as a national monument.

But apart from a handful of specific sights such as this church and the Museo de Artes Visuales (the architecture of which I found very appealing), Barrio Lastarria is really more an area to wander through and enjoy for its ambiance and street life. There are a number of bars, cafés and restaurants too – we enjoyed having our coffee in a little square just off José Victorino Lastarria and indulging in some more people-watching while soaking up our last dose of spring sunshine on the morning of our departure from Chile. Definitely an area worth seeking out for a stroll with camera in hand.
Toonsarah says:
I'm always on the lookout for this sort of thing. When you have time you should check out my Valparaiso reviews as that's one of the best places for street art I've ever been!
Posted on: Feb 04, 2017
Jo104 says:
wow really nice I enjoy the street art in Brussels it catches you unaware
Posted on: Feb 04, 2017