Barking Sands Beach Cottages
Barking Sands Pacific Missile Range Facility, Waieli, HI, USA
www.greatlifehawaii.com/Acti… - (808) 335-4752
Barking Sands Beach Cottages Waieli Reviews
Beach Cottages at Barking Sands Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF), Kauai, Hawaii Jul 19, 1999
Ok, this little secret for a cheap stay on Kauai is for military people and sponsored guests only (Sorry!). Where else can you get lodging on Kauai for $70-$90 depending on your rank? These cotages sleep 6 with 2 bedrooms, a full kitchen, living room and dining area with a patio! They even have individual washers & dryers. The sunset views of the "Forbidden Isle" of Niihau on the beach are absolutely the most totally amazing sunsets you may find in the world!
Barking Sands PMRF and Safari Helicopters help make the natural beauty of Kauai accessible, and makes Kauai our favorite island in the State of Hawaii! We visited all 6 islands during our 4 years living on Oahu and Kauai is the BEST!
For more information on the Barking Sands PMRF see this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Missile_Range_Facility
There must be a down side to these places and here is a list:
- Limited hours to check in which means having to schedule your flights and drive time appropriately
- When you arrive, there may not be any places to eat or get food/ supplies
- Low-flying aircraft at all hours--cottages are off the end of an active runway
- Loud roosters every morning at first light--the crowing at that hour may drive you nuts!
- This is an isolated part of Kauai--the nearest civilization is in Waimea
- Gates to Barking Sands PMRF close at certain times and are heavily guarded
- Only a 2-week maximum stay and there is a long waiting list sometimes because there are only about 20 cottages
- The sand actually "barks" here like a dog! It is a bit windy and the sand is a certain texture that creates a barking sound when the wind blows...not sure if this is good or bad, just something to note
Great things to see/do on Kauai:
- Waimea Brewing Company at http://www.waimeabrewing.com/ is the closest place to get good food and beer -- Be sure to check the hours of operation!
- Waimea Canyon State Park, on the same side of Kauai as Barking Sands PMRF is known as "The Grand Canyon of the Pacific" is a must see at 10 miles (16 km) long and up to 3,000 feet (900 m) deep
- The Nā Pali Coast State Park encompasses 6,175 acres (25 km²) of land and is located in the center of the rugged 16 miles (26 kilometers) along the northwest side of Kauaʻi from Keʻe Beach to Polihale State Park. The pali, or "cliffs", rise as high as 4,000 ft (1,200 m) above the Pacific Ocean. Although inaccessible to cars, this coast can be enjoyed by hiking, boating (kayaks, zodiacs or catamaran) or from a helicopter (Recommend Safari Helicopters--see our blog). The Kalalau Trail is the only land access which is a 2-day 11 miles (18 km) hike. It crosses 5 major valleys before reaching Kalalau Beach at the base of Kalalau Valley. This is some serious overnight hiking with rustic pack-in campsites. We liked Safari Helicopters and there are boat excusions to see this awesome coastline, but we have not tried to hike this area.
- The Captain Cook landing site and Russian Fort Elizabeth
- Everything else (including getting to the Lihue Airport for helicopter rides) is 30+ miles back towards lihue
- There are other falls, fern grotto, lighthouses and tourist attractions past Lihue and you have to drive all the way around the Island of Kauai to get there (Waaaaa-you're in Hawaii. Take your time to enjoy the scenerey!)
But the Beach Cottages at Barking Sands Pacific Missile Range Facility on Kauai are the best kept secret for military members! The best place to stay in paradise!
Part of the Jeff and Jenny's Travels from 1998 to 2008 travel blog
Part of the list Hawaii
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!