Bargaining in Tanzania

Nairobi, Kenya

Bargaining in Tanzania Nairobi Reviews

tirsomaldonado tirsomal…
Aug 02, 2007
. I would say that to buy souvenirs in Tanzania is like a sport! It is fun as hell. One tourist explained to me that once he was buying some souvenirs and they gave him a price. He accepted and then the guy got all pissed off saying he had to bargain. And he explained to him how to do it. I do not know wether that is true or not, but I swear, it is fun once you get into it.

Normally they start with a price which is 10 times higher, let´s say 100 dollars. Although many times they tell you to give a price before starting the negotiation. You have to go very low, as low as 5 dollars. Then, if it is totally out of range, then they just laugh at you. Then he gives you the new price, lets say 50 dollars. From there you can give 15 and if you are lucky you can close the deal at 20-25 dollars.

Also if you are thinking of buying more than one thing, just negotiate things separetely, and once you have finished negotiating, just give a total offer for the whole set of things. Try to get close to him/her, put on his hands what you want to pay and try to close the deal that way! Well good luck! Today is my last round in stores in Tanzania. Just looking forward to it! hahah
Stigen says:
The thing is that the customer is always right , the people selling stuff will be much more desperate then we are. All the vendors have usually pretty much the same stuff , so supply is greater then demand..
Posted on: Jul 22, 2011
telamonster says:
This is sort of the same in Bangkok. I was such a puss about bargaining, so I had my friend do it. He is the master! LOL.
Posted on: Sep 09, 2007