Barefoot Bernie's Tropical Grill & Bar

(252) 261-1008

Barefoot Bernie's Tropical Grill & Bar Kitty Hawk Reviews

jdsgos jdsgos
Oct 02, 2007
I really wanted to write about Bernie's mainly because of how helpful they were. I don't know if I mentioned it before..but this town pretty much shuts down after 10pm. If the place isn't already shut down cause the season is over, they tend to close at 10 o'clock for some crazy reason. You can still grab a drink at the bar, but forget about getting food.

Anyway, onto my tale. We had friends flying in from NY tonight. So some of us figured we'd get dinner out on the town. And for some reason, most in our group are use to eating late. No dinner at 6 or 7 o'clock for us. Our norm is usually after 9ish for dinner. Don't ask me why, we just do. Here we are in two cars with seven people driving from one place to another asking if you still served dinner. Three times we went to different places and three times we were told "no". Finally we arrive at Bernie's. By now it is 10:35 pm, way past their serving stop time. The bar was open, but the restuarant was already closed. By now our friends had arrived from NY. So we have three cars with 10 people.

I walk in and ask: "I know you're already closed, but is there any food at all"? The hostess says "sure, no problem". She was nice enough to say "get your friends, don't worry". In addition to the bar menu, we were allowed to order off the full menu. Anything we wanted 45 minutes after they closed....you could not ask for more.

Most of us kept it simple. Food that could be cooked fast and gets us out of there. Three of us ordered the cuban steak with chimichurri sauce, along with beans and rice. In a word...the steak was AWESOME. Not to mention the portions were huge. All of us left with doggie bags.

If you have to try a tourist trap place, give this one a shot. The food is good, the staff is super nice...what more could you want. And even if you're late getting there - if you're lucky (like we were) they'll still serve you.

PS: Yes we gave a very decent tip for allowing us to eat so late :-)
Us enjoying our very late dinner.
sylviandavid says: