Barca Art Café

Barca Art Café - Beef Rendang
Barca Art Café - Chicken satay

Barca Art Café Tynemouth Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Quirky décor, great gin cocktails, tasty food – what’s not to like! Nov 23, 2017
This first floor restaurant shares the quirky décor of the bar of the same name below – lots of paintings (and some photos) in all sorts of styles and covering all sorts of subject matter, most of which are for sale; an eclectic mix of tables and chairs; kitsch salt and pepper pots on every table; and a mural at one end with famous faces jumbled with campaign slogans (‘coal not dole’) and quotations. You can get a good sense of the style from the photos on the website and I also liked their assertion there that ‘Barca Art Bar and Restaurant is a place for women and gentlemen to enjoy all things aged, twisted and beautiful’

We were very taken with the friendly service, and the menu of interesting gin-based drinks also got my attention (I can recommend the chilli and lime one!) On a summer Thursday evening it was buzzing and we had to wait about five minutes to get a table, but it was worth it.

We enjoyed everything we ate - starters of Thai-style chicken satay (me) and grilled haloumi (Chris), my main course of Malaysian beef Rendang curry (good rich sauce, though not very spicy, and well-cooked pak choi) and Chris's burrito. The menu wanders all over the world - we could also have chosen Moroccan meat-balls, Thai Beef Pho, among others, as well as crab landed just down the road in North Shields.

Our bill came to £52 (without service) which included my gin and a glass of wine, plus two pints of Estrella lager for Chris – good value and another place we will happily return to when next in Tynemouth. And as a bonus, the downstairs bar was my favourite of several pubs we drank in during our week in the town.
In Barca Art Café