Bar at Times Square - New York New York

3790 Las Vegas Blvd South, Las Vegas, NV, USA

Bar at Times Square - New York New York Las Vegas Reviews

poohstanggt poohstan…
Best Dueling Pianos in Las Vegas! Jul 16, 2008
The Bar at Times Square was suggested as one of the best, if not the best, dueling piano shows in Las Vegas. My friend Kim actually knows Kevin Krohn, who is one of the regular performers there so we decided to check the show out one night and add it to the reviews list.

One difference between NY NY and the other shows I had seen thus far was the cover charge. If you arrive after 8pm, there is a $5 cover for standing room only, or $15 per person for seating. I am told that it goes up to $25 on the weekend for tables. My recommendation is if you plan to watch the whole show (8pm - 3am), pay the $15 for seating unless you know you will be up dancing the whole time. At first I was a little annoyed with the idea of paying for a seat when I am already ordering drinks but trust me - you will thank them for having the cover once you see how packed it can get! It really helped with crowd control and the overall enjoyment of the experience itself.

We were there on a Tuesday night and performing first were Dennis and James. Kevin and Shawn were next to go on. Unlike Harrahs where they rotated one player in at a time, these guys perform a set and then switch. They each play two sets, approximately 1 1/2 hours each.

Kim had warned me that Kevin was an absolute "maniac" on stage and he certainly did not disappoint. He is an incredible piano player and his stage personality is quite magnetic! All the performers that night were incredible and I was glued to the show until the 3am end time.

Don't be fooled, this is not your typical elevator music piano lounge which most people think of when they hear piano bar. If that is your preference, they certainly exist in Las Vegas but this is the place to be for a great time with your closest friends and perhaps the new ones you make during your stay! Classics like Billy Joel and Elton John, along with harder edge selections from AC/DC and Guns N' Roses fill the air and draw you in from the casino floor. For those still skeptical about the piano bar experience, NY NY has several vantage points where you can check things out without paying a cover if you choose. Enjoy a pizza from a sidewalk cafe and sway to the songs eminating from the pub. Or grab a drink from one of the two bars that surround the perimeter of the Bar at Times Square and rock out in the casino - trust me, you won't be the only one!

Kevin had mentioned it is basically a different show every night so I decided to bring a couple more friends and we stopped by the next night after our other plans just to check out the new performers. Ironically, Scott who I had just seen duel at Harrah's on Sunday was performing with Dennis from the night before. Unfortunately, we arrived late and I did not catch the other two performers names (will update when known).

Both nights were incredible and my friends who had not really been to a piano bar show really enjoyed themselves as well. No matter what type of music you like, they seem to hit them all - country and rap included! If you want to embarrass your friends for their birthday or whatever celebration you can think of, this is the place to do it. As the night goes on, the better it gets!

One helpful tip if you have any sensitivity to loud music - bring ear plugs. Yes, ear plugs! I was warned to bring them and forgot them anyways but Kevin had a couple spare pairs he gave us. It doesn't deter from the overall experience, trust me, but it does help! The venue is small and these guys rock so it's going to be loud. Their energy is fed by the audience so the crazier the audience, the louder it gets. And don't be fooled into thinking it's a young rowdy crowd - both nights I was there, everyone from 21 to over 70 were there having a great time. And no one says you have to be crazy to enjoy the show, you can quietly sit back in the corner and observe like many people do or you can be the one dancing drunk near the pianos to which your friends will kindly remind you the next day through Kodak moments!

If you are interested in seeing the whole show, they do take reservations ahead of time for the tables which I highly recommend. This allows you the freedom to just show up and know you will have a seat waiting for you. It does fill up and the second night I was there, the tables were all reserved so we had to wait for someone to leave before we were able to go in.

Also, if you are interested in specific peformers, you may be able to call and find out who's dueling that night. My best recommendations: Kevin Krohn and Dennis West.

Kevin Krohn - duels exclusively at NY NY Sun - Weds nights. He hails from sunny San Diego, California and has quite a musical background, including currently recording his own original songs! Check him out on his myspace: Make sure to stop and say hi after the show - he's one of the most down to earth and nicest people you will meet!

Dennis West - not sure of his exact days but he was dueling on both Tuesday and Wednesday nights when I was there. He hails from New Jersey and he might look familiar to some as he has performed in the Legends in Concert show as Jerry Lee Lewis! He also has quite the musical background and "rumored" to share a birthday with Elvis - surely a homage to his success! Coincidentally, Dennis does a great Elvis during the show that is not to be missed!

When in Vegas, definitely make a stop in to NY NY and check these guys out - you won't be disappointed!!!
Bar at Times Square, NY NY Hotel &…
Dennis West performing
Kim and I with Kevin after the show
Dennis and James
huddleston huddlest…
Absolutely FABULOUS Mar 11, 2007
I have been to Vegas more times than I would like to admit... what can I say? It's fabulous!

Of all the bars and clubs I have been to, The Bar at Times Square is one of my favorites. If you are looking for Paris Hilton or $1,000 bottle service, sorry to disappoint. Times Square is more of a laid back electrically fun atmosphere. It is a dueling piano bar with amazing musicians at work. They play great music as well as requests! If you have never been to a piano bar, the gist is to cheer (and pay) the pianist who is playing your favorite song... They pianists duel and entertain. They make what could be a regular bar with a musical guest above entertaining. The pianists are very knowledgeable and will even play College fight songs (which you can imagine gets very competitive, especially during Spring Break). It is a lot of fun, and a welcome break from the glitzy and fancy at most night clubs in Vegas.

Drinks are a bit cheaper than some of the more expensive spots but still overpriced. I think I got a beer for $6. The bar is very popular and somewhat crowded. Cover is only $5 though. There were a TON of people in the little place which was somewhat frustrating. Times Square closes at 2 am, so don't plan on partying the night away here. Don't miss this place if you're in Vegas. It is a must in my book!
The Bar at Times Square Vegas