Bar Velero

Aguilas, Spain

Bar Velero Aguilas Reviews

ladysamdq ladysamdq
Aug 18, 2007
On the second day of our holiday, Ian and I went into Aguilas to explore the town and get something to eat.

We walked along the beach front and came to a little café-bar called Bar Velero. We sat outside on the terrace/walk under parasols, and after a short wait, a very friendly waiter came to take our order. We opted for the menu del día, the menu of the day, and both had the same: a mixed paella to start, a fish dish for the main course and ice cream for dessert.

The paella was absolutely delicious - full of prawns, clams, mussels, chicken and pork, it was well-cooked, had a great colour and was a real treat to start the meal. The basket of bread that accompanied it also helped bring out the flavour, and while some rice dishes can sit heavily on the stomach, this one didn't.

After another wait - which nobody complained about, as it left us ready for the next course! - the fish was brought out, along with a second basket of bread. At first, I thought it was a square piece of some fish topped with a butter sauce, but upon cutting into it, it turned out to be a delicate type of fish flan, filled to the brim with flavoursome merzula (hake) and small prawns. The sauce was exquisite - buttery and delicious - and once again, it wasn't difficult to clean our plates! Without exaggeration, it was the kind of meal that I've always longed to find in the UK.

The strawberry ice cream for dessert was gorgeous; very rich and with a lot of fruit, the small portions we were given were more than enough.

Including drinks, the meal came to 14 euros (about £9) each. Although there was a slight wait for service, it was definitely worth it (see my review from Garrucha for my views on busy restaurants!); the staff were very friendly, and the food was terrific!

If you're heading into Aguilas, I'd definitely recommend making a visit to Bar Velero - ask for the menu del día, and enjoy!
The view from the terrace at Bar V…

Check Aguilas Hotel Deals