Bar Morazan

Avenida 3 (or 5!) and Calle 7, San Jose, Costa Rica

Bar Morazan San Jose Reviews

Higton Higton
Mar 03, 2007
The only really good City Centre bar I found in San Jose, Bar Morazan (sorry, the accents have gone on me keyboard) twinkles like a disco light through a glass of Imperial.

To get there, you need to run the gauntlet of hawkers trying to sell things to the Yanks entering the various casinos on route. However, when that hurdle is passed, the bar itself is a haven of Ticos in a morass of Americans.

It has an extensive bocas (like tapas) menu brought to your table by men in white shirts and bow ties. This is completely at odds with the bare brick walls and the best Jukebox in San Jose blaring out on the far wall. Students and Goths mix with older folk (not just me) and everyone just seems nice and chilled. It can get insanely busy, although when I met Simon and Ria there (Siri on this site) it was of course utterly quiet. That is what normally happens when there is a Costa Rica football game on.

It also does cocktails. If you see one that says it is a "typical Costa Rican" concoction, avoid it like botulism; it is vile.
The bar from the eponymous park
DrewSFO says:
Yes, yes, yes! Thanks for bringing back a good memory! I was staying at the Holiday Inn nearby (Amon Plaza, I believe), and stumbled onto this bar years ago. It was so quirky that it quickly became one of my faves!
Posted on: Apr 14, 2008