Bar Georgia

6 Erekle II Street, Tbilisi, Georgia

Bar Georgia Tbilisi Reviews

SWFC_Fan SWFC_Fan
Georgian dishes in a comfortable old town bar Mar 09, 2017
We ate lunch at Bar Georgia one afternoon during our visit to Tbilisi in February 2013.

This small bar and restaurant, with a menu including the Georgian staples of khinkali dumplings, khachapuris and lobio bean stew, is located on Erekle II Street, just a short walk from the Rezo Gabriadze Clock Tower in Tbilisi's old town.

The dining area was small and cosy, with comfortable sofas to sit on and colourful artwork on the walls. I believe there may have been more tables downstairs (there were only a couple of tables in the bar area where we were), but as we were the only diners at the time we sat in the bar area.

The menu was fully translated into English and contained all the Georgian dishes that we were now becoming familiar with. The prices were a little more expensive than anywhere else we'd eaten in Tbilisi and a 15% service charge was automatically applied to the bill (10% was the standard service charge in Tbilisi).

I opted for:

Lobio (bean stew) - 8.80 GEL / £3.50

As usual, this delicious bean stew was served in a clay pot. It was still sizzling and bubbling as it arrived at our table and was placed in front of me. It was piping hot. The top part of the stew had a similar consistency to soup, but the further down the pot I got the thicker it became until it became similar in consistency to chilli con carne. It was very tasty (the coriander was very evident), a little spicy and, as always, I enjoyed dipping pieces of Georgian bread into the pot.

Emma opted for:

Mushrooms with Sulguni Cheese - 10.80 GEL / £4.30

A plate of mushrooms filled with melted Sulguni cheese. They too were served piping hot and were enjoyable, but I thought they were a little expensive compared to other meals that we enjoyed in Tbilisi.

We shared:

Georgian bread - 2.00 GEL / £0.80

A basket with four pieces of warm, flat Georgian bread. Always enjoyable and always good value for money. Georgian bread is an essential accompaniment when ordering lobio bean stew!

To drink, I opted for:

Natakhtari beer - 3.00 GEL / £1.20

A refreshing Georgian beer served in an "I Love Georgia" mug with a frosted interior to keep the beer cold.

Emma opted for:

Zedazeni lemonade (vanilla flavour) - 2.50 GEL / £1.00

We had started to learn that "lemonade" on a Georgian restaurant menu could actually mean any flavour of soft drink (apple, pear, peach, Saperavi grape, tarragon...). This one was vanilla flavoured.

Tasty Georgian dishes in comfortable surroundings in the old town. A little more expensive than average, but still cheap by western standards.
Bar Georgia, Tbilisi, Georgia
Menu at Bar Georgia, Tbilisi, Geor…

Check Tbilisi Hotel Deals